What happens if i don't enable any Proxmox VE repository?

omarsha1kh

Nov 19, 2022
Hello there !
I understand that Proxmox provides two repositories for updates, one paid and one free.

My question is, Is it a problem if i don't use any repository and don't update after a fresh install ? I just installed Proxmox VE 7.2, and disabled Enterprise repo. If i leave it at that, is it going to be a problem ?

Many thanks !

Basically you can do that, but not applying feature and security updates is a real bad idea.

Thank you Tom for the prompt reply !

I have enabled the security update repo, is that not going to be sufficient ?
Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 6.41.54 PM.png

Regarding the features, is it possible that the default installation is lacking some fundamental features ? I don't mind missing out on minor new features.

is that not going to be sufficient ?
Sufficient for what? What is your goal and desire with this installation?

Is this a home lab? Business environment? Highly secure government facility?

Regardless of the answer, you can indeed never update the system and be completely fine. At the same time it could become a really bad idea as indicated by @tom. It always depends on a multitude of variables. In the end - its your system do what you wish with it.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

I have enabled the security update repo, is that not going to be sufficient ?
You will be getting security updates for the underlying Debian GNU/Linux (filesystem and some tools) but not security updates for the Proxmox software parts (the storage, virtualization, management and kernel/driver parts mostly). Proxmox does not differentiate between feature updates and security fixes. Do you have any particular reason to update some parts of the system but not other parts?

It might be a problem once a security bug is discovered in one of the packages. Also, you won't get any new features and possible performance improvements.

You will be getting security updates for the underlying Debian GNU/Linux (filesystem and some tools) but not security updates for the Proxmox software parts (the storage, virtualization, management and kernel/driver parts mostly). Proxmox does not differentiate between feature updates and security fixes. Do you have any particular reason to update some parts of the system but not other parts?
This is something I didn`t think about, but it makes alot of sense. Thank you !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!