Weird backup file names on external drive

gb00s

Aug 4, 2017
Hi,

I just checked an external backup and found these weird file names on it. Some 'Chinese' relation?

Proxmox_Backup.png

I'm not able to change them. I'm backing up the same files on two other different devices. They don't have the same issues. So is it a security issue or is it a device issue?

it seems that the files on the disk are damaged, and the 'chinese' characters are only garbled entries... i'd check the drive with e.g. smartctl for errors (maybe an fsck can help)

Hi @dcsapak

thanks for the quick reply. Tested the drive two days now with badblocks and smartmontools and it shows zero errors.

did you also try an fsck ?

I just reformated the drives and just restored the virt machines from backups. Checked again with badblocks, fsck and smartmontools. No errors.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!