web interface capabilities question

Hescominsoon

Nov 23, 2021
I am trying to configure on LV in proxmox web interface..but it looks like a fair maount of configuration is done via the cli. Can a lv be setup within the web interface or is using hte cli required? I am evaluating various hypervisors for my clients...thank you for your time.

hi,

Can a lv be setup within the web interface
yes you can.

on the left tree menu go to your node, then select Disks which should open up a menu where you can wipe/initialize the attached disks. under the Disks tab there are separate tabs for different kinds of storage (LVM, LVM-thin, ZFS etc.) which you can use to create the specified type of storage.

Unfortunately I do not have that option. I am not using the enterprise edition..i wonder if that makes it use a different gui which forces you insto heavy cli work..the documentation seems to focus on using hte cli as well. Here's what i have on my screen now:
the first pic is of the lvm section. I have no options to create or wipe anything. the only optioin given to me is to destroy the lvm. in the disks seciton it shows the dual ssd's i hae in my boot array..no other actions are given to me here. ia m also doing this over iscsi. I ahve looked through several other sites and the documentation..i msut be doing something wrong somewhere.can i jsut make a filesystem over the iscsi block volume without having to put lvm on top of the iscsi block disk?

so i have /dev/sdc in the nods-lvm-disks section. in the web interface i have o options to do naything b ut destroy...that's is all.

tried to reinstall and it's bombing now. scale installs fine, ubuntu installs fine, windows installs fine. It looks ike proxmox doesn't like my t420 for some reason. i'll manually wipe the boot ssd's and try again.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I do not have that option. I am not using the enterprise edition..i wonder if that makes it use a different gui which forces you insto heavy cli work..
there's no difference in the enterprise version. the code is open source, it stays the same but you get enterprise support and access to stable and tested packages from our repository.

so i have /dev/sdc in the nods-lvm-disks section. in the web interface i have o options to do naything b ut destroy...that's is all.
please read my answer above, you will have an option in the Disks menu. i've attached some screenshots to make it clear :)

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-11-24 11-53-45.png
    Screenshot from 2021-11-24 11-53-45.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot from 2021-11-24 11-54-20.png
    Screenshot from 2021-11-24 11-54-20.png
    34 KB · Views: 6
can i jsut make a filesystem over the iscsi block volume without having to put lvm on top of the iscsi block disk?
you can add iscsi disk on Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> iSCSI

also take a look here [0]

and yes the documentation focuses on the CLI, since most options or features are added first on the API and then added to GUI (sometimes ;) )

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_iSCSI

Last edited:
adding iscsi in the datacenter area is the easy part. what i am having trouble with is afterwards..being abnle to present a disk to the node without having to dive into the cli. I could use the cli..but i relaly do not wish to...

so i have the iscsi setup....now when i add lvm on tp of that in the node it shows the lvm and the group under the vm section..but not the disks section. I am fully accepting i am missing something..but right now i am unable to figure it out. yes i know zfs on a raid card is not good..this is only to get proxmox working..if i can get it working then i'll fasht eh card with IT mode firmware...:)

Attachments

• add lvm to datacenter.png
    add lvm to datacenter.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 6
  • iscsi.png
    iscsi.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 6
  • no logical volumes.png
    no logical volumes.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 6
  • proxmoxnoiscsidisk.png
    proxmoxnoiscsidisk.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 6
ok so i jsut figured out the multiple views as well..i got a LV to appear once i pointed a vm disk at it..so it appears the lvm will not appear int he disks section of the host only int he lvm section...but it can then be assigned to individual vms...i think....:)

ok so i figured it out. in terms of hte logical volumes proxmox does it for you...and it doesn't show up in the main disks area but under lvm as a subset. Many of the logic processes that make up Proxmox don't make sense to me..but i have a vm running on the lvm/iscsi connection. Now to test my other thing i want this system to do....:)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!