Web GUI through port forwarder: only one instance working per browser?

Sep 13, 2022
Hi,

I setup two ports (lets say 8007 and 8008) on a firewall to be forwarded to two PVE instances on port 8006 each. Each works well and I can access the Web GUI. However, if I try both at the same time in two Firefox or Chrome browser tabs, only one works. It seems as the first one gets logged out when I login in the second. Sometimes I saw an error about a ticket. Is there some issue in the web GUI page code that a connection to the same host just different port somehow shares session data that should not be shared or such?

In case someone else has the issue:
One workaround is to use different browsers, or private/ingocnito mode, or possibly several browser profiles (that should also isolate windows/tabs, but I did not test this).

It seems as the first one gets logged out when I login in the second. Sometimes I saw an error about a ticket. Is there some issue in the web GUI page code that a connection to the same host just different port somehow shares session data that should not be shared or such?
That's probably due to your browser handling the mas the same site. So there will only be one PVEAuthCookie. If you log into the second PVE the cookie will be overwritten and, thus, no longer valid for the first node. A different port alone does not lead to your browser considering the site to be a different one. Not to be confused with the same origin, which follows a different definition. You can read more here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Cookies#samesite_attribute

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!