WARNING: Use of uninitialized value $spages ?

moxfan

Aug 28, 2013
Hi,

I've just installed PMG-5 in an openVZ container (PVE 3.4, the container template is debian stretch from openvz.org) and all seems to be working fine.

But, I am getting copious amounts of this error in the log files in /var/log/ .
Code:
WARNING: Use of uninitialized value $spages in int at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/ProcFSTools.pm line 212.
Checking that line:
Code:
root@pmg1:~# sed -n '212p' /usr/share/perl5/PVE/ProcFSTools.pm
    $res->{memshared} = int($spages) * 4096;
Will it be safe using PMG-5 regardless of those errors?

Thanks.

Note: Please don't keep advising me that I should be upgrading the PVE and using LXC. ;)

Last edited:
Note: Please don't keep advising me that I should be upgrading the PVE and using LXC. ;)

Seems you already knows the answer. OpenVZ on Proxmox VE is end of support.

I had this same error yesterday installing PMG v5 on a Linode Debian 9 virtual server. I got around it in the end by doing the following at around line 211.

#my $spages = PVE::Tools::file_read_firstline("/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_sharing");
#$res->{memshared} = int($spages) * 4096;
$res->{memshared} = $res->{memtotal}+$res->{swaptotal};

Which seemed to get me further, though I can't guarantee it's a valid tweak. There is no /sys/kernel/mm/ksm directory present on these systems.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!