Warning: os-prober

Raschen

Dec 9, 2021
Tell me when updating the kernel, I see a warning:
"Warning: os-prober will not be executed to detect other bootable partitions. Systems on them will not be added to the GRUB boot configuration. Check GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER documentation entry. done"

changed file /etc/default/grub.d/proxmox-ve.cfg

GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Proxmox VE"
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true

replace:
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Proxmox VE"
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

Is this method correct or will it affect how proxmox works?

Tell me when updating the kernel, I see a warning:
"Warning: os-prober will not be executed to detect other bootable partitions. Systems on them will not be added to the GRUB boot configuration. Check GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER documentation entry. done"

changed file /etc/default/grub.d/proxmox-ve.cfg
I personally would recommend against that:
* `os-prober` does scan all blockdevices it finds in a system (including all LVM-LVs, potentially ZVOLS) and adds _all_ bootable disks to your grub-config - so even if this does not break things and your system still boots into Proxmox VE it will make upgrades take quite a while longer
* If I remember correctly we had quite a few reports of upgrades hanging indefinitely due to os-prober taking ages

Additionally I assume you do not have many other OS-installations directly on your hypervisor and are switching between those regularly.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: Neobin and fiona
yes! os-prober is dangerous on hypervisor hosts, but it's not possible to silence that warning via the config snippets we ship.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!