Apr 3, 2018
Hi,

I have a 4-node Proxmox cluster

Each node has:
  • 1 x 512GB M.2 SSD (for Proxmox)
  • 1 x Intel Optane SSD (895 GB) for Ceph WAL/DB
  • 6 x Intel SATA SSD (1.75. TiB) for Ceph OSDs
Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 12.28.02 am.png

I am trying to setup OSDs on the SATA SSDs, using the Optane as WAL/DB drive.

However, when I get to the 5th drive, it complains about benig out of space?

Code:
root@angussyd-vm01:~# pveceph osd create /dev/sde -db_dev /dev/nvme0n1
create OSD on /dev/sde (bluestore)
creating block.db on '/dev/nvme0n1'
  Rounding up size to full physical extent 178.85 GiB
lvcreate 'ceph-861ebf6d-8fee-4313-8de6-4e797dc436ee/osd-db-da591d0f-8a05-42fa-bc62-a093bf98aded' error:   Volume group "ceph-861ebf6d-8fee-4313-8de6-4e797dc436ee" has insufficient free space (45784 extents): 45786 required.

I see from the docs that the pveceph commands seems to default to 10% of OSD size for the WAL - so that would be around 192 GB, right? And DB is 1%, which is 19GB.

So I assume it's because these defaults (in particular the DB) have filled up the disk.

Any advice on what values to pick here? And the impact if I have a smaller WAL/DB than the 10%/1% defaults?

I am running about 34gb for my 6tb without issues. There is a flag specifying how big the journal is, however i do all creation of new OSDs via the GUI...

The Proxmox documentation mentions:

You can directly choose the size for those with the -db_size and -wal_size parameters respectively.

However, I am only specifying a DB device - Proxmox then automatically puts the WAL on the same device. (Earlier thread discussing this).

If I only specify "db_size" - what will pveceph pick for the WAL size?

Or how exactly do I check what the DB/WAL size are afterwards? (It's not in the ceph.conf file).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!