[TUTORIAL] Wake On LAN (WOL) for VMs and Containers

you have to configure it to watch the vmbr that is connected to your pfSense system sending the packets.

did you modify the script based on the pfsense WoL port number?

pfSense is on vmbr2. i have modified the script with both the interfaces (vmbr0 and vmbr2) but no success. also use port 40000 instead of 9. if you look at the script it basically does a lookup for the mac address you are sending the wol packet to, and then attempts to start the vm which has that "virtual" nic with that mac address. so not sure if the interface (vmbr0 or vmbr2) should really matter, as long you have one of them to route your packet to the mac address. i could be wrong though.

pfSense is on vmbr2. i have modified the script with both the interfaces (vmbr0 and vmbr2) but no success. also use port 40000 instead of 9. if you look at the script it basically does a lookup for the mac address you are sending the wol packet to, and then attempts to start the vm which has that "virtual" nic with that mac address. so not sure if the interface (vmbr0 or vmbr2) should really matter, as long you have one of them to route your packet to the mac address. i could be wrong though.
What does the debug output show if you watch it from the console when you send a WoL packet?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!