edza

Aug 27, 2024
Hello! I have been using Proxmox VE for my main server for about 2 years now it is allways on but in the start i set it up to work with wake on lan and it worked perfectly. Now i recently got second server to use as testing server not to use recources on my main server and i wanted to setup wake on lan because i dont need it on all the time but when power on by PCI / PCIE is enabled in BIOS I am haveing a problem with it... In Proxmox shell using ethtool I confirm that wake on lan is enabled (Supports Wake-on: pumbg ; Wake-on: g) and when i press shutdown button in the GUI or shutdown -h from shell the system powers down and after a second it powers right back on. When Power on by PCI / PCIE is disabled it shuts down as normal. Any ideas how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, there are some hardware differences between them the motherboard that works perfectly with wol is ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 and the motherboard that is haveing the wol issue is ASUS H971-plus. About the BIOS mode i am no entirely sure but i think that both of the systems are setup in UEFI mode. The link you provided leads to this thread in arch linux forum where the issue is with the same motherboard (H971-plus) and the fix supposedly is disableing xHCI in kernel. Do you know how do i edit the kernel to set that setting as disabled? I have disabled xHCI in my BIOS but it doesn't fix the isuue...
Thanks in advance!

You can check whether the folder /sys/firmware/efi exists on the system to check whether it was booted with UEFI or in Legacy mode. cat /sys/firmware/efi/fw_platform_size should output 64 in the console on the PVE host. According to your mainboard's manual the options to change that would be in the CSM settings [1].

For your other question, if you mean to apply the xHCI boot parameters to the kernel, it depends how you set up your PVE host, but usually it is set up with GRUB and you can append the boot parameter to the /etc/default/grub's GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, e.g. GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet xhci_hcd.quirks=270336" and then update-grub. See here [2] for more information, especially if you happen to use systemd-boot.

Another thing that just crossed my mind, have you checked that your mainboard's firmware is up-to-date?

[1] http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/H97I-PLUS/E9789_H97I-PLUS_UG_v2_web_only.pdf
[2] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysboot_edit_kernel_cmdline

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!