[SOLVED] Wake-on-lan - doesn't work on Proxmox (Atheros Killer E2400)

shalak

May 9, 2021
I repurposed my old gaming rig into a PVE host, it's equipped with Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 motherboard that comes with Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10).

Back, when this host had Windows 7 installed, I was able to configure the Wake-on-lan in NIC's settings to start on MagicPacket - the feature worked correctly every time I sent the packet.

"Power on via PCI(e)" (which according to BIOS covers LAN wake-up) is still enabled.

Now, with Proxmox installed, the wake-on-lan no longer works.

Code:
[12:32:06][root@proxmox]:~# ethtool enp6s0
Settings for enp6s0:
    Supported ports: [ TP ]
    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                            100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                            1000baseT/Full
    Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Supported FEC modes: Not reported
    Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                            100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                            1000baseT/Full
    Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
    Speed: 1000Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Auto-negotiation: on
    Port: Twisted Pair
    PHYAD: 0
    Transceiver: internal
    MDI-X: Unknown
        Current message level: 0x000060e4 (24804)
                               link ifup rx_err tx_err hw wol
    Link detected: yes
[12:32:10][root@proxmox]:~# ethtool enp6s0 | grep Wake-on
[12:32:14][root@proxmox]:~# ethtool -s enp6s0 wol g
netlink error: Operation not supported

lspci -v says:

Code:
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
    Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19, IOMMU group 13
    Memory at df200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
    I/O ports at d000 [size=128]
    Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [58] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [c0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/16 Maskable+ 64bit+
    Capabilities: [d8] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=16 Masked-
    Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
    Capabilities: [180] Device Serial Number ff-0a-ca-ff-70-85-c2-ff
    Kernel driver in use: alx
    Kernel modules: alx

I'd appreciate any help with this one.

Last edited:
It appears that Atheros Killer driver has a bug and WOL was disabled for it a while back.

Some insights: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=61651

There's a patch, originally prepared for Ubuntu: https://github.com/AndiWeiss/alx-wol

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but even if I installed the patch, assuming it will work with 6.5.11-7-pve, it will anyway stop to work as soon as I upgrade kernel package, right?

i guess that setting BIOS to power-on on power failure and adding a smart power socket is a more robust solution here.

Last edited:
i guess that setting BIOS to power-on on power failure and adding a smart power socket is a more robust solution here.
Or get a cheap PCIe network add-in card (that is known to work with WoL on Ubuntu) and use that to do the WoL?
EDIT: As a bonus, it allows you to easily separate Proxmox management traffic from VM network traffic.

Last edited:
Or get a cheap PCIe network add-in card (that is known to work with WoL on Ubuntu) and use that to do the WoL?
EDIT: As a bonus, it allows you to easily separate Proxmox management traffic from VM network traffic.

Indeed it did cross my mind, but that would require hooking up 2 ethernet cables, so I'll go with a smart socket. Thank you for the input :)

Hi there,
@shalak:
the alx-wol uses the dkms mechanism which compiles the module automatically when a new kernel is installed.
The only thing what may happen (but can be solved):
Currently the generic branch of alx-wol can only get the version information out of the Ubuntu kernels.
If the Information in the proxmox kernel is formatted in a different way one has to adapt the detection for that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!