W2008R2 loses the network connection

cesarpk

Mar 31, 2012
Hi to all

Can anyone help? - IS URGENTLY (Production environment)

I have 2 DELL poweredge 2950 with 2 NICs Broadcom on mainboard more 2 boards NICs Broadcom for each one in a production enviroment with several VMs running on local HDDs with PVE cluster of two nodes (I don't use cluster HA) for use only into my LAN. The problem is that Win 2008R2 only loses the network connection without freezing.

For example into PVE console of the node that have the VM Win 2008R2 :
1- Into PVE console of W2008R2 I execute cmd for do ping to the LAN and not and not responding properly, nor to the VMs on the same node
2- Into PVE console of another VM on the same node I do ping correctly to the LAN and too to other VMs on the same node

After of this problem, into of W2008R2 I execute restart (equivalent to reboot on linux) and after of restart everything returns normal until the next day that repeats the same problem

The Virtio net driver version on Win 2008R2:
Driver date: 09/20/10
Driver version: 6.0.209.605

Note:
In another computers (not for this case) I have PVE 1.8 in cluster with Win 2008R2 VM installed for more of 2 years and work perfectly.
His driver is Virtio, driver date: 06/18/09 and driver version: 1.0.0.31.383
(I only said this by if is relevant)

The PVE configuration:
pve-manager: 2.2-26 (pve-manager/2.2/c1614c8c)
running kernel: 2.6.32-16-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.2-80
pve-kernel-2.6.32-16-pve: 2.6.32-80
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.4-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.93-1
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.9-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-28
qemu-server: 2.0-64
pve-firmware: 1.0-21
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-37
libpve-access-control: 1.0-25
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-34
vncterm: 1.0-3
vzctl: 4.0-1pve2
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.2-7
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

The VM configuration:
boot: c
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 4
ide2: none,media=cdrom,size=660K
memory: 10240
name: Win2008R2-SQL
net0: virtio=72:60:0D:E5:29:65,bridge=vmbr0
net1: virtio=DE:B3:D6:AB:B5:6B,bridge=vmbr1
ostype: win7
sockets: 1
virtio0: local:107/vm-107-disk-1.raw,size=250G

The NICs configurations:
# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

iface eth2 inet manual

iface eth3 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.100.100.7
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.100.100.4
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
address 10.10.10.7
netmask 255.255.255.0
bridge_ports eth1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Notes about of the NICs configurations:
My LAN use the subnet 192.100.100/24
vmbr0 is for connect to LAN
vmbr1 not used for this moment but is ready for use when needed

I will be very grateful to anyone who can help me

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:
Hi to all

Can anyone help? - IS URGENTLY (Production environment)

I have 2 DELL poweredge 2950 with NICs Broadcom in production with several VMs running on local HDDs with Proxmox VE cluster of two nodes (i don't use cluster HA) for use only into my LAN, and W2008R2 only loses the network connection without freezing.

Hi Cesar,
do you use the actual virtio-net driver inside the VM?

You can also try to use an e1000-driver to see if this fix the issue.

Udo

Hi Cesar,
do you use the actual virtio-net driver inside the VM?

You can also try to use an e1000-driver to see if this fix the issue.

Udo

Hi Udo, am pleased to be served by you, you are the Master of the virtualization, thanks!!! :p
Please check my query again, I added the versions of the drivers

In this link: http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/bin/ , I see the content of the file
virtio-win-0.1-30.iso, but I don't see Virtio net drivers for Win 2008R2, please said me where i get the latest version of driver Virtio net. and if the driver is into this ISO, said me the path and file to found it

Note:
I have a collection of ISOs and floppy disks images downloaded with Virtio drivers for Windows systems and may be that i have the lastest driver version.

And about of e1000-driver, let me to do a questions:
1- What about his performance in comparision of Virtio net?
2- What about of speed in comparision of Virtio net?
3- And what about of consumption processor?

In prompt expected of a reply I say goodbye.
Attentively
Cesar

Last edited:
Hi Udo, am pleased to be served by you, you are the Master of the virtualization, thanks!!! :p
Please check my query again, I added the versions of the drivers

In this link: http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/bin/ , I see the content of the file
virtio-win-0.1-30.iso, but I don't see Virtio net drivers for Win 2008R2, please said me where i get the latest version of driver Virtio net. and if the driver is into this ISO, said me the path and file to found it

Note:
I have a collection of ISOs and floppy disks images downloaded with Virtio drivers for Windows systems and may be that i have the lastest driver version.

And about of e1000-driver, let me to do a questions:
1- What about his performance in comparision of Virtio net?
2- What about of speed in comparision of Virtio net?
3- And what about of consumption processor?

In prompt expected of a reply I say goodbye.
Attentively
Cesar
Hi,
I'm not sure, but I think I use the win7-driver for w2k8.

About the e1000-driver (only valid for windows!!): Speed is a little bit less and you use slightly more(?) cpu-power but the performance is good (and comparable with older virtio-net driver much more stable).
Most of my windows-VMs use the e1000-driver! This can change if I switch all nodes to the latest pve-version...

Udo

yes drivers for win7 are also usable for win2008r2.

Hi Tom and Udo

Thanks for yours infomations, This forum is really good thanks to the support of people like you.

Ohhh e1000-driver is only valid for windows !!!, very important know it, thanks Udo!!!

I changed the driver to the latest Virtio-net and Virtio-SCSI version, if you like after a few days of use I can tell you the results, just let me know (It has a database MS-SQL installed with 100 GB. data)

Last question, for Windows systems what is better for SCSI Controller type on PVE 2.2: default-lsi or Virtio? and why?

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:
You can get last virtio drivers here : (they are a lot of bugfixes since build30)

http://people.redhat.com/vrozenfe/build-39/

I'm using them in production without problem.

virtio-scsi is faster than lsi, (near performance of classic virtio-blk). But I don't have tested yet the windows driver.

Thanks spirit !!! , I will be installing that version :p

Please let me to do a question:
In what internet links I may see the improvements introduced in these versions ( http://people.redhat.com/vrozenfe/ )

Best regards
Cesar

virtio-scsi is faster than lsi, (near performance of classic virtio-blk). But I don't have tested yet the windows driver.

And for anybody one question:
Is someone using virtio-scsi in a production environment for wiindows systems and with latest driver version?

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:

Ohhh e1000-driver is only valid for windows !!!, very important know it, thanks Udo!!!

NO! This is an misunderstanding!

I mean the virtio-net (anyway the older ones) is not so stable on windows like e1000! The e1000 is rock solid and with the virtio-driver I had sometimes issues (loose network during high traffic and so one).

On linux virtio-net runs also stable (and e1000 too).

Udo

NO! This is an misunderstanding!

I mean the virtio-net (anyway the older ones) is not so stable on windows like e1000! The e1000 is rock solid and with the virtio-driver I had sometimes issues (loose network during high traffic and so one).

On linux virtio-net runs also stable (and e1000 too).

Udo

Ahhhh! e1000 emulation is stable on any guest, Ok! thanks for your excelent clarification

And let me to do one question, virtio-scsi in a production environment for wiindows systems and with latest driver version is ready for use?

Best regards
Cesar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!