vzdump question

proxymoxy

Jun 9, 2011
Even though I read a lot about it, I am still not sure. May be you know more :)

I know that it is possible to create snapshots of a running container. But I am wondering whether this operation is "safe". For example no matter what complex database and memory "stuff" is running in the container, would the restore option resume these (always) flawlessly?

this was discussed several times already. pls use the search function of the forum and read all relevant threads.

I did search before asking, but didn't find an explicite answer.

The closest one is "http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/2769-Question-about-snapshots?highlight=vzdump". But this was two years ago and the answer was

no, currently not. (but it should be easy to extend vzdump that way)

I also read other topics and used my favorite search engine, but still not sure.

A link would be nice (but I would prefer a simple yes or no answer).

A link would be nice (but I would prefer a simple yes or no answer).

The operation is safe if you use database with transaction support. A vzdump snapshot behave like a power loss on physical hardware. Modern database/filesystem can handle that without problems (Yes, worst case you need to run fsck or database recovery, but that should always succeed).

Dietmar, thanks. Now I understand 100%

"vzdump snapshot behave like a power loss on physical hardware".

It also answers my question, what happens when a user edits some text with a simple text editor and the system is dumped.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!