vzdump namespace support when used with pbs.

Mar 5, 2021
Hello,

Currently vzdump on PVE has no namespace support, but instead relies on having the backup storage linked with a namespace in the storage configuration. While this is probably a perfectly fine option for some. In our case this would mean we need to connect roughly 600 storage drives to PVE, since there is no option to link these dynamic (when required) this is not viable.

We already use a custom script to initiate the backups instead of using the build-in backup option in proxmox as it gives us a bit more flexibility in our environment. The issue we currently face is the storage interface is way to slow with around 600 backup-groups having 20-ish backups each. even with nvme 'special' devices to the point where requesting a list often times out with having to do multiple tries (waiting 2-3 minutes each) before we can get a listing of the backups.

A 2nd problem is, now we have no option (as far as I know) to give 1 customer with a set of servers access to only the backups owned by that customer without being able to see all other backups, namespaces would be a solution to that as well as permissions can be more fine-grained this way.

What I would like to ask.

- vzdump gets a namespace option ( --ns ? )
- pve storage listing for pbs storages gets the option to list namespaces and their contents - exactly like the storage overview inside pbs.
- if pbs storage is linked to pve with a namespace in the connection, and vzdump also gets the "--ns" option, the backup should fail as this is a configuration problem (- I dont think namespaces within namespaces is supported at all)

with the above changes I think this will benefit PVE-PBS combination a lot with more fine grained permissions and schedules for the backups.

Lastly as I mentioned we already use a custom script to do the backups, but I could see a future where the backup option inside PVE gets a few extra checkboxes and/or dropsdowns to set some rules for the backups to make use of this feature as well, say "use poolid for namespace" or "use tag X for namespace"

-regards

Hi,

thanks for writing down your suggestions!

For feature requests and bugs, we maintain a public Bugzilla instance. As we like to keep those central, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post your suggestions over there and maybe split them up by affected service. As far as I can see, there is no similar request already opened.

[0] https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!