vzdump for weekly and monthly backups as well as backup-retention/rotation

hk@

Renowned Member
Feb 10, 2010
Vienna
kapper.net
Hi
in the PVE2.1 GUI the backup seems a bit limited, one can not add the "maxfiles" parameter using the GUI, therefore it would seem only one copy is saved during any backuprun.

I added manually the maxfiles in the /etc/cron.d/vzdump file, but the not there is warning about any changes one could do.

I also managed to get weekly backups by exporting another nfs-share for backups called weekly and only running a vzdump on sunday (and added maxfiles manually again to keep four weeks worth of updates).

Now I'm limited only to get monthly backups that should be retained for at least six months.

Can I risk-free add another vzdump line into the cronjob-file or do I risk breaking something and how could I ever integrated this backup-set around a clustered setup?

regards
hk

You can set maxfiles in /etc/vzdump.conf or set this on the backup storage in the GUI.
Each backup storage in the GUI can have its own maxfiles setting.

For more detailed explanation:
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/87...not-use-maxfiles-setting-from-etc-vzdump-conf

I think what is missing from the GUI, with relation to scheduling backups, is the ability to schedule a monthly backup.
If you had a monthly backup storage with maxfiles of 6, then could schedule a backup on the first Sunday of each month, that would solve your final problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!