[SOLVED] Scheduled Backup can not use maxfiles setting from /etc/vzdump.conf

e100

Renowned Member
Nov 6, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
ulbuilder.wordpress.com
We use a hook script that is defined in /etc/vzdump.conf.
The hook script mounts an encrypted backup disk using cryptsetup.
At the completion of the backup the hook script looks at the size of the backups, the current qty of backups and dynamically changes the maxfiles setting in /etc/vzdump.conf.
This ensures we retain the largest number of backups possible while ensuring there is always enough free space for the next backup without humans needing to constantly monitor free space on dozens of backup disks and manually change maxfiles.

When scheduling backups from the GUI in 2.0 it always passes the maxfiles option overriding the setting in /etc/vzdump.conf.
Would be nice if we could select "default" to prevent the maxfiles option from being explicitly passed so vzdump will use whatever is set in /etc/vzdump.conf.

Last edited:
When scheduling backups from the GUI in 2.0 it always passes the maxfiles option overriding the setting in /etc/vzdump.conf.
Would be nice if we could select "default" to prevent the maxfiles option from being explicitly passed so vzdump will use whatever is set in /etc/vzdump.conf.

The plan is to make 'maxfiles' a storage option (so that you can set that on the backup storage) - would that help?

The plan is to make 'maxfiles' a storage option (so that you can set that on the backup storage) - would that help?

I would prefer to be able to set that in /etc/vzdump.conf.
If it is set as a storage option would I be able to change the option from my script using sed? Would I be able to change this option per node?

Right now I use a "folder" /backup for the backup storage.
My hook script mounts the encrypted disk to /backup
Each node needs to have its own setting for maxfiles since each node has different sized backups disks and different sized vms that are being backed up.

I would prefer to be able to set that in /etc/vzdump.conf.
If it is set as a storage option would I be able to change the option from my script using sed? Would I be able to change this option per node?

There is no need to set that option for a storage. If not set, we use defaults from /etc/vzdump.conf.

There is no need to set that option for a storage. If not set, we use defaults from /etc/vzdump.conf.
If that is the case then the only issue is that when using the GUI to schedule a backup it always explicitly sets maxfiles in the cron job overriding /etc/vzdump.conf.
So if you change that and make it so you set it on the storage or in /etc/vzdump.conf but not in the scheduler then that should work fine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!