vzdump --suspend 101

but got the following error:

INFO: suspend vps
INFO: Setting up checkpoint...
INFO: suspend...
INFO: Can not suspend container: Device or resource busy
INFO: Error: file struct is referenced outside 1 2
INFO: Checkpointing failed
ERROR: Backup of VM 101 failed - command '/usr/sbin/vzctl chkpnt 101 --suspend' failed with exit code 16

Any ideas? We can backup if we stop the VE

Jeff

We tried to backup a VE with:

vzdump --suspend 101

but got the following error:

ERROR: Backup of VM 101 failed - command '/usr/sbin/vzctl chkpnt 101 --suspend' failed with exit code 16

Any ideas? We can backup if we stop the VE

Jeff

is this a special container, any additional settings and tweaks?

This is a Centos5 container. We ran yum update and installed apache 2.2.11, php 5.2.8, mysql from yum update, proftpd 1.3.1, ncftp, tripwire, and ZendOptimizer. We also added a bunch of perl CPAN modules, and php modules and php required stuff like gd.

This is a Centos5 container. We ran yum update and installed apache 2.2.11, php 5.2.8, mysql from yum update, proftpd 1.3.1, ncftp, tripwire, and ZendOptimizer. We also added a bunch of perl CPAN modules, and php modules and php required stuff like gd.

so no bind mounts or any other references to external filesystems?

can you backup with snapshop mode (vzdump)?

NFS, AUTOFS are off. I tried:

vzdump --dumpdir /var/lib/vz/dump --snapshot 101

and we're still getting failures. Again if we stop the VE from the control panel we can do the dump but not otherwise. Here's the log output:

vps-01:/var/lib/vz/dump# vzdump --dumpdir /var/lib/vz/dump --snapshot 101
INFO: Starting new backup job - vzdump --dumpdir /var/lib/vz/dump --snapshot 101
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 101 (openvz)
INFO: status = CTID 101 exist mounted running
ERROR: unable to dump into snapshot (use option --dumpdir), using 'suspend' mode
INFO: starting first sync /var/lib/vz/private/101 to /var/tmp/vzdumptmp7279
INFO: Number of files: 64801
INFO: Number of files transferred: 53460
INFO: Total file size: 1421264457 bytes
INFO: Total transferred file size: 1236038001 bytes
INFO: Literal data: 1236044326 bytes
INFO: Matched data: 0 bytes
INFO: File list size: 1516539
INFO: File list generation time: 1.883 seconds
INFO: File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
INFO: Total bytes sent: 1240355343
INFO: Total bytes received: 1397006
INFO: sent 1240355343 bytes received 1397006 bytes 5816170.25 bytes/sec
INFO: total size is 1421264457 speedup is 1.14
INFO: first sync finished (214 seconds)
vps-01:/var/lib/vz/dump#

NFS, AUTOFS are off. I tried:

vzdump --dumpdir /var/lib/vz/dump --snapshot 101

you cannot do a snapshot into the same partition.

see the error message:

Code:
ERROR: unable to dump into snapshot
pls use a dumpdir which is outside, e.g. make a dir on the root partition - /backup or mount a remote filesystem like samba.

OK, with --tmpdir
but, how to configure in Proxmox? this parameter not run in the Proxmox vzdump...

(root) CMD (vzdump --quiet --stop --compress --dumpdir /vz/backup --mailto xx@xx.com 113)

Thanks!!

Use the admin web interface (gui) to define the backup destination (dumpdir).

I say the tmpdir, not the dumpdir.

If i need edit some file, is not a problem ;)

as Dietmar already wrote: 'man vzdump' to see all options so what is the question?

in the proxmox gui, there isnt any option to configure the tmpdir.
My question is, if they are any option (editing any file for example) to define this parameter, and when I configure the backup in proxmox, the tmpdir will defined, because by default, there isnt configured...

(root) CMD (vzdump --quiet --stop --compress --dumpdir /vz/backup --mailto xx@xx.com 113)

I need this

(root) CMD (vzdump --quiet --stop --compress --dumpdir /vz/backup --tmpdir /vz/backup --mailto xx@xx.com 113)

Thankss!!!

in the proxmox gui, there isnt any option to configure the tmpdir.
My question is, if they are any option (editing any file for example) to define this parameter, and when I configure the backup in proxmox, the tmpdir will defined, because by default, there isnt configured...

I need this

(root) CMD (vzdump --quiet --stop --compress --dumpdir /vz/backup --tmpdir /vz/backup --mailto xx@xx.com 113)

Thankss!!!

ok, now I understand your question.

the GUI configure a cron job. you can edit this cron job manually (but this will be overwritten if you change something on the gui).

see /etc/cron.d/

Fenomenal!! this is that i need!! Thanks!!!

PD- It's a good idea configure for the new version of Proxmox, this parameter ;)

Again, Thanks very much!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!