Vyatta

meto

Apr 6, 2010
Hi,
I'm a XenServer user and I'm kind of fascinated in KVM now (partialy Proxmox). Since I also use Vyatta as my primary router I'd be very happy to see it as a Appliance in Proxmox. Also I'm thinking how to use it in KVM. I bealive the best way would be to use it from LiveCD + floppy with config (LiveCD checks floppy for config). But unfortunately there is no floppy support, or I don't know how to do it ;).
Is anyone using Vyatta on KVM/Proxmox?

Hi,
i'm don't know vyatta, but i'm using devil-linux with proxmox. Devil-linux is also a (firewall) live-cd which store the config on a floppy (or usb-stick, or partition).
I use simply a small disk, e.g. 0.2G for the config, or a partition. One of the advantage of proxmox is the life-migration - this works also with life-cds. This is one feature which don't work with vmware.
Perhaps you can also use a partition on vyatta for the config?

Udo

It seams that floppy is the only option with Vyatta...

-- edit
As I found out the only thing required to add floppy is to add "-drive file=file,index=0,if=floppy" do kvm command. Is it possible to add it by hard? It also shouldn't be so hard to add as a feature...

Last edited:
I use a vyatta system on proxmox..
i created a virtual machine, and installed vyatta to it (install-system) so it saves the config file to the hd.

i just installed "vyatta-livecd-virt_VC6.0" to a virtual machine and works great.

I use a vyatta system on proxmox..
i created a virtual machine, and installed vyatta to it (install-system) so it saves the config file to the hd.

i just installed "vyatta-livecd-virt_VC6.0" to a virtual machine and works great.
My plan is to use LiveCD and store config on floppy. I believe that it saves I/O since FS is in RAM, and boot time is close to "normal" installation because ISO is stored on Disk. Upgrading Vyatta in this config is as simple as swapping LiveCD. I believe that it's the best solution for users that use Standard Vyatta without any modifications (most users I think).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!