Vyatta VM

rephormat

Mar 5, 2010
I would like to use Vyatta in Proxmox VE as I have been using in XenServer. I run into problems when I attempt to setup network devices. Specifically detection of those devices by the guest OS. Can anyone provide insight to this problem? Also can anyone give me a "sample" configuration of the network devices in the system tab for use in just such a setup?

Internet <--> Cable Modem <--> Proxmox VE - eth1 <--> Vyatta VM <--> eth0 <--> LAN

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

This is almost exactly what I am trying to accomplish, as well, but with pfSense. Also, I would like the PVE web interface to be on a LAN ip, handed out by the pfSense DHCP. I know this can be done. I've done it in Xenserver, but need to have the dom0 available to run a 64-bit APCUPSD agent to handle occasional power outages -- which Xenserver won't do.

What does the /etc/network/interfaces file need to look like to accomplish this? Any help for either of us?

I determined that using the model e1000 is the best for a Vyatta VC6 Beta installation. The two network devices were detected properly and I was able to configure both of them. My problem now is how to setup the bridge so that the the ethernet device on proxmox does not allocate an address for itself from the ISP. I want the Vyatta router VM to grab the ip from the Cable modem so that I can do proper NATing. So the question is: If I don't assign an ip to the eth1 device on proxmox, but bridge it to my Vyatta VM will it allow the Vyatta router to grab an IP address from the Cable modem?

Thanks,
Seth

I determined that using the model e1000 is the best for a Vyatta VC6 Beta installation. The two network devices were detected properly and I was able to configure both of them. My problem now is how to setup the bridge so that the the ethernet device on proxmox does not allocate an address for itself from the ISP. I want the Vyatta router VM to grab the ip from the Cable modem so that I can do proper NATing. So the question is: If I don't assign an ip to the eth1 device on proxmox, but bridge it to my Vyatta VM will it allow the Vyatta router to grab an IP address from the Cable modem?

Thanks,
Seth
Hi,
yes - you need no IP-Address on the brigde - except vmbr0. The clients can use the full ip-range.

Like:
Code:
iface vmbr1 inet static
        address 0.0.0.0
        netmask 0.0.0.0
        bridge_ports eth1
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!