volume group pve not found

bthoven

Oct 8, 2021
I've been using proxmox for a few days; shut it down every night.

I shut it down last night and when booting it up this morning, it show the above message. I can still access Proxmox gui, but all VMs and CTs can't startup. I still can see the ISO, CT, disk images volume, etc. in the webui.

I installed proxmox on my 500GB HDD, I did the update by using the Proxmox GUI (PVE--->Updates) before I shut it down.

Linux pve 5.11.22-5-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.11.22-10, Proxmox 7.0-13

Below is my Proxmox boot disk structure (sdb) which is an external HDD connected via usb3. sda is my Windows internal disk.

I notice that the "/dev/mapper/pve-data' is missing.
Need help.
Thank you.
1635134605092.png

1635133874188.png

It is working now.
I issued a command line "vgchange -ay" in console, and it now detects such data volume. Rebooting my server later no longer has such problem.

update: it survived only one boot. Next boot, still get the same message and I have to use such command to reclaim pve-data back. Not sure how to permanently fix this.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!