VMWARE Workstation nested inside PVE Windows host

Manuel74

Apr 24, 2019
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to run VMWARE Workstation 15 (but tried also VMWare Player 12) inside a Windows 10 64 bit host on PVE 5.2 server.

What I've done until now:

Enabled Nested Virtualization as stated in Proxmox wiki
I was able to install VMWARE Workstation but then got the following error:

VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Workstation

Was able to override this error removing hypervisor support from VM configuration

args: -hypervisor

So the CPU inside Windows 10 64 bit VM is seen as follow:

Coreinfo.exe -v

Coreinfo v3.31 - Dump information on system CPU and memory topology
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel
Microcode signature: 00000001
HYPERVISOR - Hypervisor is present
VMX * Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
EPT * Supports Intel extended page tables (SLAT)

VMWARE Virtual Machine start, but got this error from VMWARE Workstation:

Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform.

I've also tried a different /etc/modprobe.d/kvm-intel.conf configuration with this option:
options kvm ignore_msrs=1

options kvm_intel nested=y ept=y

But with no luck, VMWARE continue to said that Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported

Current VM configuration:

bootdisk: ide0
cores: 4
cpu: host
args: -cpu host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,hv_synic,hv_stimer,-hypervisor
ide0: local-lvm:vm-130-disk-1,cache=writeback,size=200G
memory: 32764
name: W10-Server
net0: e1000=9A:42:9C:56:DC:FC,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=eb2bf59f-9ddf-494e-ac4f-485920434b09
sockets: 1
usb0: host=1-10
virtio2: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-HGST_HDN726060ALE614_NCGTRA3S,size=5860522584K
virtio4: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST10000NM0086-2AA101_ZA28XEGM,size=9314G
virtio5: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_750GB_S1DMNEAD803320D,size=732574584K​

Do you have any idea on how to make it work ?

thanks
Manuel

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to run VMWARE Workstation 15 (but tried also VMWare Player 12) inside a Windows 10 64 bit host on PVE 5.2 server.

What I've done until now:

Enabled Nested Virtualization as stated in Proxmox wiki
I was able to install VMWARE Workstation but then got the following error:

VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Workstation

Was able to override this error removing hypervisor support from VM configuration

args: -hypervisor
Hello,

Have You tried disable Hyper-V via Programms?

I think the problem is that in Args there is -hypervisor

Hello,

Have You tried disable Hyper-V via Programms?

I think the problem is that in Args there is -hypervisor

Yes, I've tried to disable HyperV in all the way:
- the Hyper-V is not present in windows feature
- launched the command : bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
- Credential guard is disabled
- "Windows Defender Security Center" > "Device Security" > "Core isolation" "Memory integrity" is disabled

The only way in which VMWARE allow me to start a VM is with the Args -Hypervisor ...

regards
Emanuele

Are you suggesting me to use Hyper-V for nested virtualization inside Windows, instead of VMWARE ?
I want to point out, that you need to also activate nesting on the virtual Windows VM too.

I want to point out, that you need to also activate nesting on the virtual Windows VM too.

But if I enable HyperV in Windows VM to support Nested Virtualization, then VMWARE Workstation won't start since it will give the error:
"VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Workstation."

But if I enable HyperV in Windows VM to support Nested Virtualization, then VMWARE Workstation won't start since it will give the error:
"VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Workstation."

Hello Manuel74,

did you figure out where was problem in your case? I have the same problem now...

Thank you,
Michal

Reactions: boomdrak
We have the same problem:
Proxmox VE 6.2 on an Intel Server
Windows Server 2019 VM on Proxmox
VMware Workstation 15 Pro (15.5.6)
VMware VMs does not start, error: VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Workstation.
We tried various suggested solutions, nothing worked so far.

Reactions: boomdrak
Any updates? :)

Facing the same isse with VMware Workstation Pro 16 inside a Windows 10 guest VM running in ProxMox Virtual Environment 6.3-2

I have tryd running Hyper V VMs and VirtualBox VMs inside the sam Windows guest VM. This works perfectly.

But it seems like VMware Workstation does not appreciate ProxMox guest VMs

1613482693245.png

I have had success using the following settings in the arg line, with workstation 15 and proxmox 6.2-4. I haven't tested performance yet

-cpu host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,hv_synic,hv_stimer,-hypervisor

Full conf file (less networking):
bios: seabios cores: 8 args: -cpu host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,hv_synic,hv_stimer,-hypervisor cpu: host hostpci0: 02:00,pcie=1 machine: q35 memory: 40000 name: Win10Serve numa: 0 ostype: win10 sata0: SAS1:vm-500-disk-0,size=500G scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci sockets: 2 unused0: SAS1:vm-500-disk-3 unused1: local-lvm:vm-500-disk-0

Last edited:
Reactions: mokaz and blackpaw
args: -cpu host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,hv_synic,hv_stimer,-hypervisor

Worked perfectly for me, thanks - got latest version of VMPlayer working on a W10 VM.

pve 6.4-13

I have had success using the following settings in the arg line, with workstation 15 and proxmox 6.2-4. I haven't tested performance yet

-cpu host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,hv_synic,hv_stimer,-hypervisor

Full conf file (less networking):
bios: seabios cores: 8 args: -cpu host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,hv_synic,hv_stimer,-hypervisor cpu: host hostpci0: 02:00,pcie=1 machine: q35 memory: 40000 name: Win10Serve numa: 0 ostype: win10 sata0: SAS1:vm-500-disk-0,size=500G scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci sockets: 2 unused0: SAS1:vm-500-disk-3 unused1: local-lvm:vm-500-disk-0
I"m a big ole n00b with this.. Where exactly do I go to pass arguements so I can run VMWorkstation and get rid of the HyperV Warning?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!