[SOLVED] VM's I created on my Proxmox can't connect to Internet

kmksk

Jul 23, 2024
I've purchased a dedicated server from a data center as well as 4 reserved IP addresses.

I've been trying to make this work for 10 hours but for some reasons VM's I create on Proxmox can't connect to the Internet. I am trying to assign these IP addresses provided to me by the data center but to no avail.

The IP addresses reserved to me by the data center is as follows (1's are for censoring, those values don't matter, one random example could be 121.46.27.113):
Proxmox IP address: 1.1.1.113 (example)
Additional IP address: 1.1.1.114, 1.1.1.115, 1.1.1.116 (example)

My network configuration:

1721764845312.png

I've tried creating CT or VM. I've also tried tweaking many network options but none of them worked.

The setup you see on the screenshot above caused Proxmox to be accessible by multiple IP's listed there and this was the only configuration I've tried where multiple IP addresses was used in a way but of course this wasn't my intention. My goal is to have one of the IP addresses I listed above (such as the one ending with 113) be used by Proxmox and the other IP's to be used by VMs.

How should I set up the network configuration in order to assign these IP addresses into VM's and have them connect to the Internet? Currently only Proxmox (host) is able to connect to the Internet while I've never been able to reach Internet in any of the VM's I created.

AFAIK the only IP that should be on that screen is the proxmox management IP, not the VM IPs. Here's mine as an example:

Capture.PNG

The VMs will be linked to one of the Linux Bridge interfaces (which is linked to a physical NIC). The IP is configured inside the VM itself.

Here's my VM view... it has two network interfaces, each linked to a different "Linux Bridge" on the host:

capture2.PNG

And internally each of those interfaces is assigned an IP (second one has been obscured):

capture3.png

Last edited:
1721768750016.png
I have only one network card, my new network config is above.

VM network config (netplan):

1721769064355.png

Proxmox hardware page:

1721769149709.png

It is not working in this configuration either, what should I do now?

And more importantly, the VM IP config looks fouled up. The gateway needs to belong to the same subnet as the IP address. I assume the obscured portion is NOT 192.168...

You also have nothing linked to vmbr1 (no ports/slaves).

If you only have one ethernet adapter, you may only need one bridge device for a basic setup.

And more importantly, the VM IP config looks fouled up. The gateway needs to belong to the same subnet as the IP address. I assume the obscured portion is NOT 192.168...
Yes it is not 192.168..
I am very confused about configuration.

You also have nothing linked to vmbr1 (no ports/slaves).

If you only have one ethernet adapter, you may only need one bridge device for a basic setup.
Yes I have 1 Network card and 4 total IP addresses(1 for proxmox), how should I do the network configuration on proxmox and VM's?

Yes it is not 192.168..
I am very confused about configuration.

This is basic TCP/IP networking and nothing to do with proxmox per se. The gateway needs to be on the same subnet as the IP address of the VM. You can't set up a gateway that is outside of the subnet. The gateway is where the machine sends packets when it needs to communicate off-subnet, so by definition it MUST be on the same subnet.

Yes I have 1 Network card and 4 total IP addresses(1 for proxmox), how should I do the network configuration on proxmox and VM's?

Probably just one bridge device at the host level, linked to your physical network adapter. The IP config for this bridge can be the management IP.

Link your VM to this same bridge and internally assign it another IP address that you were provided. The gateway would be the same as what you use on your bridge gateway for the proxmox machine itself.

1721772389885.png
Proxmox network configuration above.

VM network configuration (netplan):
1721772517722.png

Also the VM connected to vmbr0 bridge (firewall off).

VM still cant accessible or cant pingable, also cant connect to internet.

(The IP address that I assign to VM is working, If Iassign it to vmbr I can access proxmox via this IP address.)

Wait, I see you haven't "applied" recent network configuration changes on the proxmox host. The "Apply Configuration" button is clickable.

Wait, I see you haven't "applied" recent network configuration changes on the proxmox host. The "Apply Configuration" button is clickable.
I did it after take screenshoot, can't ping the gateway but can ping 113 ip!

Last edited:
Solved: Changed gateway in VM xxx.xx.xx8.1 TO xxx.xx.xx8.113 (proxmox IP addr)
VM can connect internet right now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!