Vmbr0 using iptables camouflage (NAT) PVE cannot communicate with virtual machines

runing

Jun 21, 2022
PVE network configuration
1658996584430.png

Network configuration of virtual machine
1658996757865.png

PVE cannot communicate with virtual machine

1658996864270.png
1658996807908.png

Last edited:
Hi,

what might be missing from /etc/network/interfaces config is the "auto vmbr0" part:

Code:
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static

before you edit that can you call ifup vmbr0 and check again if you can ping the host.

If this doesn't work can you post this command from you PVE host:
Code:
ip a

晉語

/etc/network/interfaces 配置中可能缺少的是“auto vmbr0”部分:

[代码]
自动 vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
[/代码]

在编辑之前,您可以调用 ifup vmbr0 并再次检查是否可以 ping 主机。

如果这不起作用,您可以从PVE主机发布以下命令:
[代码]
ip a
[/代码]
can ping the host

Add iptables rules in the network configuration. Do you want to use the iptables Save command to save and take effect?

I would keep those iptables rules in the network configuration :)

I'm not sure what you want to do. The iptables rules will be applied when the network config is loaded.

I'm not sure what you want to do. The iptables rules will be applied when the network config is loaded.
Yes
After adding iptables rule, execute ifdown vmbr0 && ifup vmbr0 command. But the iptables rule does not take effect. Only after I reboot the system, will the iptables rule take effect.
How to make iptables rules take effect without restarting the system?

Hi,
how did you determin that they don't have an effect? Did you check this:

Code:
iptables -t nat -L

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!