VM won't start after successfully attaching physical disk while it is up

willekind

Jan 31, 2023
UPDATE: I got it to work by setting the ASync IO settings from the default (io_uring) to native

I followed this guide to add a phsyical hard drive to my VM (running Alpine linux) by running this command

Code:
qm set 102 -scsi1 /dev/disk/by-id/usb-WDC_WD30_PURX-64P6ZY0_0123456789000000001-0:0

The disk attaches successfully while the VM is running, and I can mount and read from the disk in the VM.

However, when I restart the VM, it hangs on startup, and doesn't show any of the usual Alpine start up logs in the console, just a flicking cursor. If I kill the VM using this command

Code:
rm -f /var/lock/qemu-server/lock-102.conf && qm stop 102 --skiplock

and remove the attached disk, then I can restart the VM fine.

It's worth noting that the disk is a hard drive connected to this dual hard drive docking station via USB.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!