VM with Windows 2016 always starts in repair mode

z3networks

Jun 23, 2018
Hi there,
I've been reading here for a while, but now I need some help.

I have a VM with Windows 2016 Standard on Proxmox 8.2.2. The VM always starts in repair mode where I only have the following options:
1. automatic repair is prepared
2. troubleshooting
3 - Restore system
- Restore system images
- Start help
- Command prompt
- Revert to previous build

None of the options help me to get the system up and running again. After a restart, I end up in repair mode again.

No hard disks are displayed in the ctnotwin tool, two hard disks are mounted. One with operating system 100GB (LW c:\) and the 2nd for data 500GB (LW E:\)

With Knoppix I cannot mount the hard disks because there is a Hibermate file, so I have no access to the data on the hard disks for the time being.

Backups are available from the last 3 days but strangely show the same behavior. I therefore assume that there is probably a problem with proxmox.

Yesterday and the day before yesterday I was still working with the Win 2016 server, yesterday morning I got the message that the workstations could not access the shares. Then I realized that the VM or Win 2016 Server had crashed. A restart was not possible, it always went into repair mode.

The data is also backed up in a cloud, so I'm less worried about that at the moment.

Restarting the server will only take a long time. I would like to avoid that.
Below is a screenshot of the proxmos configuration.

Do any of you have an idea what has broken here and possibly how to fix it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-07 232725.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-07 232725.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2024-08-07 232638.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-07 232638.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 4
Sounds like another faulty update. Please change the boot disk to SATA and try booting with it.

@fireon
That's right, it was an update for Windows 2016 that corrupted the Windows directory, according to a colleague this has happened more often in the last few days. Thank goodness we only had 1 customer who still had a Windows 2016 server running.
We were able to save the data so that we could restore it on a new Windows 2022 server.

Reactions: fireon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!