VM with libiscsi hangs on missing disk - no timeout

Dec 30, 2020
Hello,
after some (much) fiddling, I managed to boot a VM with two (LVM) mirrored root disks over iSCSI with both libiscsi (User_Mode_iSCSI) and kernel iSCSI.
I'm using other Proxmox nodes in the cluster as LIO targets.

BTW: please fix iscsi-login-negotiation-failed - I skipped the tcp_ping in /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/Plugin.pm with:
Perl:
sub iscsi_test_portal {
    my ($portal) = @_;

my ($server, $port) = PVE::Tools::parse_host_and_port($portal);
    return 0 if !$server;
    return 1;
    return PVE::Network::tcp_ping($server, $port || 3260, 2);
}

BUT
when I reboot a Proxmox node, that is serving one of the two iSCSI disks to the VM - the VM is stuck until the Proxmox node with LIO is up again - when using libiscsi.
Switching to kernel iSCSI timeouts the iSCSI disk after about 120 sec. (can be shortened by editing node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout in /etc/iscsi/iscsid.conf)

VM.conf
Code:
agent: 1
boot: order=scsi0;scsi1
scsi0: iscsi-test01:lun0,backup=0,discard=on,iothread=1,size=255G
scsi1: iscsi-test02:lun0,backup=0,discard=on,iothread=1,size=255G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
serial0: socket
storage.conf
Code:
iscsidirect: iscsi-test01
    portal 192.168.1.45
    target iqn.2003-01.org.linux-iscsi.test01.x8664:sn.ca0a6b7e722a

iscsidirect: iscsi-test02
    portal 192.168.1.46
    target iqn.2003-01.org.linux-iscsi.test02.x8664:sn.dcf539fbd724

Does anybody know - if/where I can set a disk timeout when serving iSCSI disks over libiscsi?

Thanks,
Gerald

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!