VM with GPU passthrough reboots host on shutdown

vman81

Aug 13, 2017
I installed a nvidia 1050 TI and passed it through to a windows guest, and that works great for gaming/streaming with a few cpu cores and some ram. But unfortunately it seems to reboot my physical server every time I shutdown or reboot the guest VM (since upgrading physical gpu)

I'm not seeing anything obvious in syslog, messages or kern.log

The installation did include a lot of trial and error when trying to make the nvidia passthrough work without the infamous error 43, but it seemed to work fine until I upgraded the GPU from a nvidia gt 1030 to an nvidia gtx 1050ti

the vmid.conf :

bios: ovmf
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 12
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-199-disk-3,size=4M
hostpci0: 04:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1
machine: q35
memory: 16384
name: gaming-ok
net0: virtio=FE:5C:F9:11:8C:0E,bridge=vmbr2
numa: 0
ostype: win10
parent: beforeboot
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=367043a0-15c4-4911-b10d-7e2a2f51e273
sockets: 2
virtio0: local-lvm:vm-199-disk-2,cache=writeback,size=64G
virtio1: local-lvm:vm-199-disk-4,cache=writeback,size=40G
virtio2: satadisks:vm-199-disk-1,cache=writeback,size=512G

Any suggestions? I'm running a few uptime sensitive VMs on the host and this is really annoying.

It seems like it sometimes also just hangs the host - not a full reboot. Totally unresponsive via console

My only success with Nvidia and GPU passthrough was after turning KVM off so later drivers could be installed.

I was using a GTX 580 and the 5 series was known to have issues reinitializing so I had to reboot my host continuously. I switched to AMD and had no such issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!