[SOLVED] VM stops after upgrading and restarting other nodes of the cluster

Angry Mandragora

Aug 19, 2022
I have a 3 node test cluster set up to test 6.4 to 7.x upgrade.
Ceph (version 14) is installed, one OSD/one monitor on each node, a pool is configured using the OSDs.
A VM is created using the pool. It runs on node03.
I upgrade Ceph from 14 to 15 without issues, restart the other nodes, migrate the VM to one of the restarted nodes, restart the 3rd node as well, all good, Ceph is now v15.
After this I proceed to upgrading the OS, I do the same, upgrade two nodes, and I leave alone the node that runs the VM.
All goes well, until I restart the two nodes, when I lose connection to the node that I didn't even touch yet (and which is running the VM). After some time the cluster comes back, but the VM is in stopped state, starting after some time.
Am I missing something or is it impossible to do a major release update without downtime?

Hi,
did you restart two of the nodes at the same time? Or maybe not wait until all (Ceph) services were fully up? With 3 nodes, you can only restart one node at a time or the cluster will loose it's quorum and Ceph also can't continue to provide service.

Reactions: Angry Mandragora

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!