Vm start timeout

paulw

Feb 21, 2022
Hello everyone,

I would like to understand where to set timeout for starting VM's via the gui.

If I start a VM from the GUI with 30 NICs, the vm fails to start. If I execute the kvm start option manually, the VM does come up.

I would appreciate any guidelines on where to find the hard coded timeout.

seems like another factor we might want to take into account when calculating the default timeout.. could you give more details about your setup/config?

Hello there,

Unfortunately my changes for timeout appears not to have been effective. It seems that no matter what I override the timeout to be, that the vm fails to start.

So we are running WHMCS and proxmox. The combination works really well, however some customers take 30 IP addresses. The way the WHMCS plug works is that it creates a NIC for every IP. The large amount of NICs causes the VM to take quite long to startup. Starting the VM on the command line with the failed start command works fine.

Hello there,

Yes, we do use the promos VE module for WHMCS. The issue was logged in the past with your support and there was no joy.

That is by no means the impression we would like to leave you with. Please allow us to rectify this issue for you, and provide the ticket ID so it can be looked into one more time.

seems like another factor we might want to take into account when calculating the default timeout.. could you give more details about your setup/config?

My fileserver VM, 32GiB in size, often fails to start at bootup by the startall method. I suspect it's when the disks being passed through to it are all spun down - I can see via `ps axfu | grep D` that the KVM process for that vmid is stuck in the D state, and I can hear the 3 disks attached to that VM spin up. Naturally, it takes them longer than 32 seconds (from my reading of /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Qemu.pm:{vmid}/status/start) to fire up in sequence.

So I'd like to have a longer timeout just for that VM, but can't work out how to hook that into 'startall'. Note that it doesn't suffice to simply set "start on boot delay" on the host to 30 seconds, because then nothing initiates the process to spin those disks up.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!