VM Sound without server sound setup-possible?

wahmed

Famous Member
Oct 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
www.symmcom.com
Hello,
I am trying to setup sound for VMs, specially Windows based VMs. Is it possible to setup in Proxmox VM without installing sound in the Proxmox host server first? Or do i have to make sure The physical server itself has sound first then attempt to setup for VM?
Thanks!

you do not need a physical sound card in your server. e.g. if you access your windows VM with RDP or Spice, sound is no problem. VNC console does not support sound.

Glad to know the physical server do not need sound!

All Windows VMs are access through SPICE and all of them have Spice Guest Tools installed. But the windows vm says "No Audio Device Installed" and thus speaker is muted. Do i not need to install sound drivers in the windows ?

Glad to know the physical server do not need sound!

All Windows VMs are access through SPICE and all of them have Spice Guest Tools installed. But the windows vm says "No Audio Device Installed" and thus speaker is muted. Do i not need to install sound drivers in the windows ?

you need to add a virtual audio card to the vm, currently they are no options in proxmox, so you need to edit vm config file and add "args: ...." option.

(see proxmox spice wiki)

So i added the following in the /etc/pve/qemu-server/301.conf as per the Wiki:

args: -device AC97,addr=0x18

I restart the VM, but Windows VM still did not detect any sound devices and still no sound. I must be missing something something really simple. :(

actually, i was able to make Windows see the new sound device. All i had to do is fully shutdown then power up again. It sees the Sound device as "Multimedia Audio Controller" under Other Devices, but cannot find any suitable driver to install. Any idea?
The Windows VM is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I am having slight feeling that it is not supported in 64 Bit edition.

you can also try with intel-hda audio card

Code:
"[COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier]-device intel-hda,id=sound5,bus=pci.0,addr=0x18 -device [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier]hda-micro,id=sound5-codec0,bus=sound5.0,cad=0 -device [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier]hda-duplex,id=sound5-codec1,bus=sound5.0,cad=1"
[/FONT][/COLOR]

you can also try with intel-hda audio card

Code:
"[COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier]-device intel-hda,id=sound5,bus=pci.0,addr=0x18 -device [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier]hda-micro,id=sound5-codec0,bus=sound5.0,cad=0 -device [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier]hda-duplex,id=sound5-codec1,bus=sound5.0,cad=1" 

[/FONT][/COLOR]

I GOT SOUND!!!! I GOT SOUND!!!! :)

I added the args as mentioned by Spirit, shutdown Windows, then powered up and it got sound. I didnt have to install any driver at all!

Thank you thank you!

I GOT SOUND!!!! I GOT SOUND!!!! :)

I added the args as mentioned by Spirit, shutdown Windows, then powered up and it got sound. I didnt have to install any driver at all!

Thank you thank you!

:) I'll update the wiki.

I think AC97 is good for old windows xp/2003 and intel-hda for win >= vista.

:) I'll update the wiki.

I think AC97 is good for old windows xp/2003 and intel-hda for win >= vista.

Just did a clean install of Windows XP 32 bit on a new VM with args: -device AC97 in config. Windows Setup did all the work and I had sound right after the main setup! Just confirming indeed ac97 works in Windows XP out of the box.
Thanks!

Small Issue. It seems to me that audio and video is out of sync when i playback a video remotely through SPICE. I hear the sound first then video after 2 to 3 seconds delay. Any way to bring them to sync?

HI Can you give me exact arg that you mention in vm.conf file.

Thanks appreciated your time.

Regards

This should work for Windows 7 and up:

args: -device intel-hda,id=sound5,bus=pci.addr=0x18 -device hda-micro,id=sound5-codec0,bus=sound5.0,cad=0 -device hda-duplex,id=sound5-codec1,bus=sound5.0,cad=1

Hi Thanks for reply.

I added below arg in vm.conf and shutdown and startup vm. but still win7 audio device not detection..

args: -device intel-hda,id=sound5,bus=pci.addr=0x18 -device hda-micro,id=sound5-codec0,bus=sound5.0,cad=0 -device hda-duplex,id=sound5-codec1,bus=sound5.0,cad=1

Is there any additional thing i need to do..

Thanks,

Hi Thanks for reply.

I added below arg in vm.conf and shutdown and startup vm. but still win7 audio device not detection..

Is there any additional thing i need to do..

Thanks,
Looks like i made a mistake in my posting.
It should be bus=pci.0,addr=0x18.
I posted bus=pci.addr=0x18
My apologies.

HI Thanks for post , Now I can hear Sound ..
Thanks very much , Appreciated your time

Hi I am facing one issue at spice client to proxmox win7 guest only.. after 1 hour, I tried to reconnect remote spice client to win7 that i am not able to connect , Getting this info "waiting for dispay/ connected to graphic sever."

Thanks,

Dear All.

Can we use vm ip "example 192.168.1.2" for connecting from virt viewer from remote?

Now I am using "proxmxox ipaddress for connection virt viewer from remote.

Please let me knows if this is possible.

Thanks,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!