VM restarting when no quorum

Veikko

Dec 4, 2017
Finland
Hi all !
I have a 2-node setup, and I discovered slowness in the VM:s on the other node. During the initial tests I realized that there was a network speed issue which mirrored to all the VM:s in the current node. I then migrated all VM:s to the other node and shut down the faulty node for examining. I quickly discovered that all the VM:s rebooted, eventhough there was no problems in the other host. Is this acceptable behavior or do I have faulty quorum settings?

I do not have HA enabled for any hosts.

Using Virtual Environment 7.2-7 from Enterprise repository
Using 2 Dual Xeon based nodes

Last edited:
Reactions: shanreich
Hello and thanks Leo,
Is this the only supported way of having 2 nodes?
Yes, I do have HA disabled. If the node is fencing itself, is it normal that all the VM:s reboot?

Veikko

To add, on the datacenter / HA page, there is quorum and the 2 nodes, and the other is master, other is lrm. I do not have any resources added in the panel, but because we are having a cluster of some kind, aren't there always some quorum, even with no HA?

quorum (requirements) yes, but fencing will only happen with HA enabled/its watchdog armed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!