VM recovery after system disk crash

Headroom27

Jul 1, 2023
Hi, I had to do a fresh install of PROXMOX VE.
VMs are stored on another disk /raid mirror 10T/
The problem is that I don't know how to get to the VM and restore them.
Please can someone help me?
thank you for the answers

Attachments

• Proxmox_disk_10T.jpg
    Proxmox_disk_10T.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 10
/dev/sdb contains a VmWare VMFS Partition.
I believe you'll need (install) vmfs-tools package to access/mount that partition.
I don't know your particular setup.

DISCLAIMER: I DON'T RUN VMWARE. - AND HAVE NEVER TRIED ABOVE

Hi, I had to do a fresh install of PROXMOX VE.
After re-configuring your Proxmox and storages, you'll need to recreate the VM configurations manually from memory. Restoring from backups might be easier (and it is also possible that your storage drives got corrupted after the crash).

you can't as your 10TB disk is an ESXi datastore.
a migration need to be planned which require, ESXi, to, for example, export as OVF then PVE can import OVF.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migrate_to_Proxmox_VE#Restore_from_backup
before Proxmox there was probably VmWare, which was then probably reinstalled by someone on Proxmox.
Then Proxmox ran there for about 3 years / disk 2TB system proxmox + Raid Mirror 10TB for VM /, then the system disk crashed.
Now I put a new disk where I installed Proxmox

but I will try to install vmfs-tools and see if that helps

afaik, Linux can't write to VMFS, only read.
I doubt VMs was running on the 10TB, it can work with 10TB passthrough to a ESXi VM, but it's is bad for production as it's a nested virtualization.

afaik, Linux can't write to VMFS, only read.
I believe that's correct. However I'm not entirely sure what setup the OP had before this "fresh install" as he calls it, in his first post.
If he provided more info, namely:

• Original VMware/ESXi setup
  • Original Proxmox Setup / Migration Procedure used
  • Final Proxmox Setup

Maybe then somebody could offer him more detailed/useful help.

so, I found out that vmware was installed on 10T a long time ago. Then when they installed proxmox there, they added a 2T system disk with proxmox and used 10T for data, but I don't know what they did with that 10T disk because the old vmware partition remained there.
Then it happened that Proxmox crashed, the server restarted and started booting into vmware. During boot, vmware overwrote some things and a problem arose.

I ended it: I will remove partitions on 10T and create a clean disk for proxmox

thanks for the previous answers

Marian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!