VM performance problem.

That's not true, you just haven't tuned ZFS properly. Google for ZFS tuning, there are lots of parameters to adjust depending on what you are trying to achieve. Storage systems are always a trade of between data integrity and speed. ZFS defaults to data integrity.
I have read many of the tuning guides and tried most of what they have suggested but it didn't make a significant difference.. Only thing I haven't thrown in the mix (because I don't have a spare one) is an SSD as a log (ZIL) and read cache (L2ARC)..

I think data integrity is very important give the amount of storage per drive available now and the fact that we are storing disk "images" that could easily become corrupted if the underlying system has even the smallest problem.. For me this means ZFS or BtrFS with ZFS being the more stable at this point..

I use GlusterFS with it's built-in NFS server for Citrix XenServer, and get pretty good speeds. I'm currently replicating two storage nodes, but it can be expanded to three or more as well.

I use GlusterFS with it's built-in NFS server for Citrix XenServer, and get pretty good speeds. I'm currently replicating two storage nodes, but it can be expanded to three or more as well.

what is pretty good, can you provide benchmarks?

Just an update.. I have installed Ubuntu on me test storage box, created a RAID0 stripe with 4 disks and formatted with XFS then exported as NFS.. Performance is TERRIBLE!!!

On FreeBSD 9.0 and a ZFS filesystem I was getting 80-88MB/s and pvetest was reporting 800 FSYNCS/s..

On the Ubuntu setup with XFS throughput is about 65-70MB/s and pvetest is reporting 12-17 FSYNCS/s..

I have tried all the NFS tweaks I can find (other than running async which is not an option for data integrity)..

Anyone have any suggestions for improving NFS server performance (other than the usual stuff found in a google search that I have already tried)?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!