[SOLVED] VM P2V proxmox 6.2

Mabing

Jun 22, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am trying to turn a physical machine into a proxmox VE, or in general to migrate some VMs to proxmox VE.
I have already tried to follow these steps Migration of servers to Proxmox VE and read lot of post about the topic but I am still confused.

My main concern is the path where the VMs are located. I saw everywhere it should be there /var/lib/vz/images/VID/VM.qcow2 however on my side I have nothing in /var/lib/vz/images/, the folder images is empty. So I wonder if you could help me to understand what I am doing wrong and how to solve this issue.

Thank you :)

Hi,
Thank you for the reply, I will have a look at the links you posted.
I have two storages, the local one, where I can upload iso files etc. and the data one for the VM I guess, which is a LVM-thin.
The thing is when I type lvdisplay in the CLI, all the VM I created are considered as logical volume, so I guess that's why I cannot find then as proper file no?

The thing is when I type lvdisplay in the CLI, all the VM I created are considered as logical volume, so I guess that's why I cannot find then as proper file no?
Yes, each VM disk gets a logical volume which is used as block device. Using one of the two commands will help you to import the disk to that block device.

All right, so what I did was right.

Here is the process I followed:
Create new VM, OS: Do not use any media, guest OS: Windows 10, same hardware components (CPU, memory, disk space).
Then I converted the .vmdk in .qcow2 and imported the .qcow2 "qm importdisk 103 myfile local-lvm".
Once this done, I removed the old harddisk, and I started the VM. However it does not work, the VM does not boot on the harddisk.

Could you tell me what's wrong in my process?

could be a number of reasons. What's the ID in the config of the new disk? If that is not the same as the initial disk, you will have to adjust the boot order in the Options panel of the VM.

Did you create it as the source in regards to BIOS/UEFI?

1592822107496.png
1592822157529.png
I am sorry, what do you mean by create it as the source in regards to BIOS/UEFI?

If the VM did boot in BIOS (legacy) mode before moving it to PVE? Then set the BIOS to Default (SeaBIOS). If it did boot in UEFI mode, you will have to configure the VM accordingly. Set the BIOS to OMVF (UEF) and add an EFI disk as well in the hardware panel.

But first, check if the Boot Order in the Options panel can be adjusted to boot from the new disk.

Thank you for your reply, setting the BIOS to OMVF (UEF) solved the problem.

Thank you for your help!

Good to hear. Would you please be so kind to mark this thread as solved? To do so, edit the very first post and select `solved` from the drop down menu next to the title. Thanks :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!