VM not starting after a power failure of the server

justaguyy

Dec 6, 2021
Hi Guys,

I am new to Proxmox. I have a VM in which Kemp LoadBalancer is installed. Initially, I downloaded the Esxi image and use "qm importovf....." to create the VM.

Today I had a power failure in my office and the server restarted, after a while when I opened Proxmox, every VM was off. So I just started the Load Balancer VM.

After starting it is showing "no bootable device find". Below is the summary of my VM and a screenshot of the error and config.

Can someone help if there is a config problem or the boot disk is gone?

boot: order=ide0
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 2
ide0: local-lvm:vm-102-disk-0,size=16388M
memory: 2048
name: LoadMasterVLM
net0: e1000=DA:02:02:A6:23:74,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
scsihw: pvscsi
smbios1: uuid=f8884289-db38-46d3-a27b-41d89b5d4b3f
vmgenid: f47c3e97-4532-4061-b2c2-1135bdc7fe26

Attachments

• PM-1.png
    PM-1.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 22
  • PM-2.png
    PM-2.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 24
hi,

have you stopped and started the VM? (the orange text in your config means its a "pending" change)

please post your VM configuration: cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf (where VMID is the ID for your VM)

Reactions: justaguyy
Hi,
Thanks for replying. Seems like restarting the machine again worked this time.
I did restarted before, but nothing happened back then.
Thanks again for your help.

hi,

have you stopped and started the VM? (the orange text in your config means its a "pending" change)

please post your VM configuration: cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf (where VMID is the ID for your VM)

Thanks for replying. Seems like restarting the machine again worked this time.
I did restarted before, but nothing happened back then.
when you restart it the pending changes are applied. depending on the way you restarted the VM this may get skipped, for example if you issue a reboot command inside the VM the pending changes won't be applied (since the kvm process actually keeps running, PVE has no way of knowing this to apply the changes).
if you use the reboot/shutdown/stop buttons on the PVE GUI the changes should be applied.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!