VM LVM volumes Active on all Nodes

Rabi Hanna

Jul 24, 2018
Hi Guys,

I just started a new PVE Cluster, I'm using iSCSI Volumes with Multipathing and LVM, when I create a new VM the VM volume get activated on all nodes, is this a correct? cause I think it should be active only on the node that will run the VM.

so what I did is add this line in lvm.conf file:
auto_activation_volume_list = [ "pve" ]

this will activate only the local LVM volumes.

so I was just wondering if it's something with PVE Settings or if this a default behaviour.

Best Regards

The auto activation of the LVs on all nodes is the default behavior and has AFAIK no side effect. There are plans to make the activation more specific for each VM volume.

Hi Alwin,

Thanks a lot for your reply,

but don't you think that would be a risk for data corruption if a volume is activated on multiple nodes at the same time?

Best Regards

but don't you think that would be a risk for data corruption if a volume is activated on multiple nodes at the same time?
No, as long as they are not used at the same time. The specific volume activation will an extra fail-safe for this.

Hi Alwin,

Thanks again for your reply,

I actually prefer to not activate the LVM Volumes, I added that like to lvm.conf and it does work fine PVE or KVM does activate the volumes automatically when you start the VM it also activate/deactivate them when you do a live migration to another nodes.

Best Regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!