VM freezes irregularly

A fellow member has pointed me to this discussion. I am not certain if any of you have resolved the issue. I would like to add my experience as it is based on AMD 4900H and 5900HX APUs. I do get a random freeze of Proxmox with a blank green screen.

The problem manifests whenever is activate a Mosquitto MQTT broker and Frigate NVR using it. I have tried all possible combinations with combined and separate CTs and VMs for the apps to no avail. Strange thing is that the dev of Frigate has hundreds if not thousands of deployments and I am the only ever reported such an issue. I thought it might be the architecture I am using - AMD - the culprit, but as I have seen other people reporting this issue with NUCs it might not be CPU architecture related.

In the next few days I will be experimenting on different platforms and see if I can get to the bottom of this. Kernel logs provide no useful information as to where the issue lies.

@fabian We seem to be having some issues installing the mainline kernel:

Code:
dpkg-deb: error: archive 'linux-modules-5.15.39-051539-generic_5.15.39-051539.202205120747_amd64.deb' uses unknown compression for member 'control.tar.zst', giving up
dpkg: error processing archive linux-modules-5.15.39-051539-generic_5.15.39-051539.202205120747_amd64.deb (--install):
 dpkg-deb --control subprocess returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-modules-5.15.39-051539-generic_5.15.39-051539.202205120747_amd64.deb

I've tried installing the zstd package but dpkg still won't work. Any ideas mate? It appears the dpkg package on the Proxmox repositories doesn't support zst?

Edit: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=892664

What's the alternative?
ugh, that's a bad choice on their end and must have changed some time recently. you must either extract and repackage them (with xz/gz, skip the modification of package contents part ;)), or build the kernels yourself :-/

ugh, that's a bad choice on their end and must have changed some time recently. you must either extract and repackage them (with xz/gz, skip the modification of package contents part ;)), or build the kernels yourself :-/
Hello,
Unfortunately, I couldn't do that.
I think I'll go for VmWare ESXi for once since the feedback seems to be pretty good...
This machine works fine as such, it's been running stable for days but it fails to provide VM support.
I'm crossing my fingers that it works with ESXi.
Thanks

Hi. We have a proxmox-cluster with local storages (simple dedicated disk, ext4, no lvm) on some nodes.
Also we have a several guest vms on this storages with big ( > 200gb) disks.
In this case we have a guest stuck on shapshot-delete: can't connect to guest via ssh/console and if we interrupt snaphot-delete, guest still stuck until restart VM

1660891161462.png

Last edited:
Hi. We have a proxmox-cluster with local storages (simple dedicated disk, ext4, no lvm) on some nodes.
Also we have a several guest vms on this storages with big ( > 200gb) disks.
In this case we have a guest stuck on shapshot-delete: can't connect to guest via ssh/console and if we interrupt snaphot-delete, guest still stuck until restart VM

View attachment 40135
that sounds like a different issue - could you open a new thread?

How do you who migrate to esxi create bridges over virtual nic? I was running my opnsense on top of proxmox with 3 cards designed for lan and one for wan. I tried the same setup on esxi but asa I create the network bridge on opnsense and migrate the lan assignment from for ex "vmx0" to "bridge" I lose all connection and must reset default config. Already tried enabling promiscuous mode in all vwitchs on esxi but nothing changes.

I am in the process of thinking. I try ESXi but I find it quite heavy compared to Proxmox and something worries me.
There is no possibility to back up your VMs visibly as Proxmox offers. My heart swings between the 2.
I wonder if I wouldn't make a script that pings the VM to see if it has frozen to reset it within a minute, but it's still DIY and I don't like it. ..

I don't really know what to do, except that I spent +- 400€ for a N5105 1TB NVME and 32 GB of ram...
Great machine but useless...

Reactions: gyrex
Update on ESXi. Same VM running a number of Docker containers migrated across from Proxmox up for almost 3 days - rock solid. No issues with my pfSense VM either. Previously, this VM would hang multiple times a day on Proxmox, at best once a day.

Note: I would much prefer to run Proxmox since it's a much more viable solution for home labs/networks but I need stability.

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 9.02.24 pm.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BarTouZ
How do you who migrate to esxi create bridges over virtual nic? I was running my opnsense on top of proxmox with 3 cards designed for lan and one for wan. I tried the same setup on esxi but asa I create the network bridge on opnsense and migrate the lan assignment from for ex "vmx0" to "bridge" I lose all connection and must reset default config. Already tried enabling promiscuous mode in all vwitchs on esxi but nothing changes.
You use virtual switches on ESXi instead of Linux bridges. Follow the ESXi setup guide from pfSense to give you a rough idea of how to coonfigute your virtual network: https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/recipes/virtualize-esxi.html

Last edited:
I followed that guide. Created two virtual switches, one for wan and one for lan but instead assigning one uplink for lan I did three. Vlan did not work this way. I use vlan to separate guest and iot network.
This probably isn't the best forum to discuss this. You'd be best asking any of your questions in the VMware community forums.

Little feedback from having switched to ESXi.
As for gyrex, these are the same VMs that were running on Proxmox with random crashes...
Here on ESXi, the VMs have been running for almost 2 days without problems...
I hope that Proxmox takes our problem encountered with this N5105 seriously and finds a solution so that we can come back to Proxmox again!

1661164306373.png

we do take it seriously, but without affected hardware to test we rely on users running into the issue to help narrowing down the cause. it is likely a kernel bug (affecting just this hardware), I posted the steps for testing above in this thread, until we get results from that we cannot do anything.

Guys, I am having similar issues with plain Ubuntu + KVM on a NUC11ATKC4 with a N5105, so it may be unrelated to Proxmox after all.

Guys, I am having similar issues with plain Ubuntu + KVM on a NUC11ATKC4 with a N5105, so it may be unrelated to Proxmox after all.
which would be a data point for "something in Ubuntu's kernel patch set" ;) could you try with the corresponding mainline kernel I linked above? on Ubuntu you should be able to just install them without the need to repack, since their dpkg is patched to support zstd.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!