VM disk Clone/Move Failing "sometimes"

M0nk3y

Jul 29, 2020
Hi,

I have a 3 node Cluster running Proxmox 6.2-10.

This has been all working fine at some point.

Trying to clone/move a 160Gb drive fails everytime. I can move/clone the EFI disk of the same VM without issue.

Other (Non-Windows) smaller VMs clone/move fine.

The ISCSI storage (w/ multipath) capacity is at 30.89% (1.27 TiB of 4.10 TiB) and is configured as a LVM partition. This setup is running on a FreeNas Server.

Moving disk from ISCSI to local is working. When I move/clone to ISCSI I get this error below:

create full clone of drive ide0 (local-vm:vm-135-disk-0)
WARNING: PMBR signature detected on /dev/nas2-vdisk001/vm-135-disk-0 at offset 510. Wipe it? [y/n]: [n]
Aborted wiping of PMBR.
Logical volume "vm-135-disk-0" created.
1 existing signature left on the device.
transferred: 0 bytes remaining: 171798691840 bytes total: 171798691840 bytes progression: 0.00 %
transferred: 1717986918 bytes remaining: 170080704922 bytes total: 171798691840 bytes progression: 1.00 %
qemu-img: error while writing at byte 2252340736: Invalid argument
Logical volume "vm-135-disk-0" successfully removed
TASK ERROR: storage migration failed: copy failed: command '/usr/bin/qemu-img convert -p -n -f raw -O raw /dev/pve/vm-135-disk-0 /dev/nas2-vdisk001/vm-135-disk-0' failed: exit code 1

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm still able to add other VM's with non Windows/Smaller in size. Even EFI drive of the same VM can move back and from Local to ISCSI.

I don't think I have this option on. I know I can't enable this form the GUI so what is it suppose to look like in the storage config?

current config for the LVM:
Code:
lvm: NAS2-VM
        vgname nas2-vdisk001
        content images
        shared 1

Thanks

I don't think I have this option on. I know I can't enable this form the GUI so what is it suppose to look like in the storage config?
See the docs. Also note, that it will introduce more IO, since the storage needs to zero data on image removal.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html#storage_lvm

I'm still able to add other VM's with non Windows/Smaller in size. Even EFI drive of the same VM can move back and from Local to ISCSI.
Does a manual convert work?
Like the qemu-img command from above.
'/usr/bin/qemu-img convert -p -n -f raw -O raw /dev/pve/vm-135-disk-0 /dev/nas2-vdisk001/vm-135-disk-0'

See the docs. Also note, that it will introduce more IO, since the storage needs to zero data on image removal.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html#storage_lvm
I've look at the docs but my brain doesn't compute. The example doesn't include the "saferemove".
Should I change it like this?
Code:
lvm: NAS2-VM
        vgname nas2-vdisk001
        content images
        shared 1
        saferemove 1

Does a manual convert work?
Like the qemu-img command from above.
/usr/bin/qemu-img convert -p -n -f raw -O raw /dev/pve/vm-135-disk-0 /dev/nas2-vdisk001/vm-135-disk-0
qemu-img: Could not open '/dev/nas2-vdisk001/vm-135-disk-0': Could not open '/dev/nas2-vdisk001/vm-135-disk-0': No such file or directory

Last edited:
I have the same problem. If i try to move disk or to clone stopped VM receive the same error after 1%.
Clone and disk move work when VM is started

But 'vm-135-disk-0' doesn't/didn't?
This is would mean the move is unable to create the disk in nas2-disk001? The goal of that command insn't to move the VM disk to another location? So it would make sense that the vm-135-disk-0 doesn't exist and is created in the process...

I have the same problem. If i try to move disk or to clone stopped VM receive the same error after 1%.
Clone and disk move work when VM is started
I'm trying to clone VMs that are converted to templates... Can't really start them...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!