VM CPU usage increased after proxmox upgrade from pve6.4 to pve7.0

ferrets

Oct 2, 2020
I've upgraded my proxmox ve from pve6.4 to pve7.0 last night and I found that the CPU usage of VMs had increased around 20%~40%, and I've total no idea what's the reason.

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

Reactions: bofh1337
I thought I was going mad - seen exactly the same thing - my node cpu load and % cpu usage appears to have tripled on all VMs and on the node as a whole.

For reference:

CPU(s)

4 x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8109U CPU @ 3.00GHz (1 Socket)

Kernel Version

Linux 5.11.22-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.11.22-2 (Fri, 02 Jul 2021 16:22:45 +0200)

PVE Manager Version

pve-manager/7.0-8/b1dbf562

Repository Status

Proxmox VE updates Production-ready Enterprise repository enabled

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-11 120046.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-07-11 120046.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: bofh1337
im guessing the scheduler isnt tuned well to respond to moderate levels of load.

my local proxmox currently is plugged into a watt meter, so I may compare the schedulers to see actual effect, but I already have 30w saving over esxi at idle and its on the performance scheduler 55w vs 92w.

I have this same issue after recently upgrading from PVE6.4 to PVE7.1-7. I'm using a Xeon E-2276G.

Windows VMs are very sluggish and CPU Load is constantly high, despite scaling governor being set to "performance".
Is there a workaround for this?

I have the same problem since yesterday after updating to latest kernel and Qemu version. The memory integrity was already disabled and the problem is the same.

On a windows server 2019 vm the cpu load was on average 15% and now it is more than 60%. This machine was already on proxmox 7.1 and working fine. Yesterday i updated it with latest kernel and qemu. The scaling governor is set to perfromance also.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!