VM and maximum number of block devices

bandzior

Jun 2, 2015
Hello.

unfortunately I can't find information about the maximum number of block devices that can be configured for a virtual machine in PROXMOX 7.x.

So, what is the maximum amount of block devices - mainly SCSI that can be added to a virtual machine?

Best
Daniel

So, what is the maximum amount of block devices - mainly SCSI that can be added to a virtual machine?
can be found in the manpage of qm - `man qm`
scsi: 31
virtio: 16
sata: 6
ide: 4

I hope this helps!

Reactions: Neobin
Thx. Can these values be summed up?
You should be able to use them in parallel yes...

out of curiosity - why do you want to have this many disks in a VM instead of e.g. using a larger disk?

I need mamy 20TB wolumes with many files. As we counted number of files, we choosed to use 20TB wolumes.

I need mamy 20TB wolumes with many files. As we counted number of files, we choosed to use 20TB wolumes.
unfortunately, this is not an answer.

What problems did you have with many files on a huge system? It is no problem in having 3 or 4 digit TB pools with ZFS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!