VM additional Storage HELP

MarcMorgan

Feb 5, 2021
Hi,

I am a complete noob! - please help.

I have setup a proxmox server with several physical hard drives installed

1 m.2 1tb for my VMs
1 m.2 500GB that i want to map to my new vm (windows) so i can install my steam games

I will also be having more drives for my plex data (on a windows machines) i need these to be collected into one logical drive for Plex to see

I am really struggling to get this setup, even if you want to connect and help. please its killing me

I have so many VMs i want to create with a windows vm and assign different drives to them

CCTV drive storage
Next Cloud drive storage
Plex (40TB of data across mulitple drives)
Game drive for my steam games

But im struggling big time

Hi,

The documentation is always the best place to start [1] :) Proxmox VE's documentation is quite extensive.

In general it seems that the GUI will help you with most of what you want to do. The "Disks" page of any node will show you the disks attached to the system and give you the option to easily set up LVM volume groups or ZFS pools (see reference below) for combining sets of disks. Then under the "Hardware" page for any VM or CT, you can add virtual hard disks of whatever size you need to the VM/CT.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_storage

Last edited:
I managed to get this to work, thank you for your help

I went into fdisk /dev/XXX
Used - d / g / w

This allowed me to see the disks within Nodes/Disks - from here i was able to create a new pool

I also have many of my drives that are used with Plex storage on a LSI SAS card so i just ended up passing the card through directly to the VM and used disk management to (Stablebit) to merge into one volume.

I know as i get a little more confident i will start to play around and get Plex and my download files into a container or some sort but would know where to start just yet.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!