Virtualizing PFSense through proxmox (plus how to install tar.gz file?)

1 other question.... when i start making static ip's for my devices, i lose connection now? i left the server and proxmox alone, but as soon as i assign a static ip to my switches, aps, pc, etc... i drop connection completely? tried resetting everything, turning off the power bar/unplugging, pulled the power supplies out of the server for a few mins. everything pulls the proper static ip in pfsense and through unifi, but when i check the gateways on pfsense they have 100% packet loss and the connection is offline?

any insight on that? probably another small quirk im missing like before, but its super annoying lol

thank you again for helping me get this going!! greatly appreciate all the help!!
That does not make any sense... what sort of static IP are you assigning to the ap or switch, did you leave the laptop on the same ip - can you be a bit more detailed about what you did and the results

I hope you don't assign the same IP as static IPs that where previously used (you got from your DHCP). They should be outside of your DHCP IP range or otherwise static IPs may indeed create problems.

ok after days of troubleshooting, i finally got it figured out.

I hope you don't assign the same IP as static IPs that where previously used (you got from your DHCP). They should be outside of your DHCP IP range or otherwise static IPs may indeed create problems.

no, i was trying to create new ones with the new network, but anytime i would add a static ip or try to create a vlan, my connection would drop.

turns out, with the modem i have (XB7), in order to properly switch it into bridge mode, the ISP (in my case, Shaw), has to do it on their end. apparently switching it into bridge mode on the website doesnt work properly. not sure why they dont fix that or make it known, but whatever.

couple days go by and the same issue is happening. so i look at the gateways and im watching it change from a private to public ip as my connection drops and goes back online continuously. so i call shaw and im like "if my modem is in bridge mode, why am i getting a private ip address?" they tell me thats impossible (which it should be), but im clearly watching it happen.

so he looks into it and figures out "oh, in order to use the 2.5g port when the modem is in bridge mode, you need to had 2 ip addresses assigned to the modem. one for management on port 1 and 1 to bind to another port. any other ports needed will need another ip address, which will cost extra. once in bridge mode, with a single ip address, the only "live" port is port 1.

so basically, if anyone comes across this thread having the same issue as me and you're using the XB7 modem with the 2.5g port in bridge mode, you need to get a second ip address to fix it.

with that being figured out, everything is working as should now!

thanks again to you guys that helped walk me through this!! appreciate it alot!

this makes my OCD extremely happy to crack 1600mbps on a 1.5g plan. honestly never though i was going to be able to crack 950mbps :D:D:D
269981471_292503166269866_1394028082693772505_n.jpg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!