Virtualizing old linux server with two scsi hard disks

martinlegion

Nov 30, 2011
Hello.
I don't know if you can give me this kind of support, but anyway, here it goes:

I recently virtualized an old linux server running Mandrake 9.1. It uses two scsi disks: The first one is the root filesystem, and the second contains /var.
I followed the tutorial for virtualizing a running server using clonezilla and everything went just fine.
In Proxmox I created two scsi disks, and cloned the two disks separately. I included the boot sector of the first one, because it contained LILO.
Here's the problem: When I start the VM, LILO loads ok, then starts to load linux, but when it comes to mounting the root filesystem it gives me this error:

Code:
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 6 mounting ext3 flags
Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 136k freed
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

Usually that kind of error appears when the name of the boot partition is wrong on the LILO configuration or similar configuration issues, but that does not make sense here, because the running server has been running fine with the current configuration for a millenia (ok... just a few centuries) and I haven't touched anything of its configuration in a long time.

I booted the new VM with clonezilla, and I can mount the two disks and see all the files correctly. I also checked the disks for errors, just in case, but no success so far.

By the way, I'm running Proxmox 1.9

Any ideas?....

Thank you!

Martín

boot with a rescue system (from CD) to dig deeper.

the line
mount: error 6 mounting ext3 flags
indicates that the rootfs was not mounted for some reason.

I would also suggest booting the VM off a live-cd and checking the partition numbers and file system integrity.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!