Virtualized Opnsense - Management on WAN and LAN

dono2000

Oct 10, 2023
Hi, I've been having issues getting 2 management IPs for my proxmox server. I just spent 2 days moving everything from an ESXi server so I might be skipping something important. Been having some issues getting the management interface working through the LAN side of proxmox, I want it to be on VLAN5 (management VLAN).

My setup:
Proxmox is plugged in through my ISP's router on interface enp42s0 (which has the vmbr0 bridge configured on 192.168.1.23/24. This one works).
I have setup vmbr1 (bridged from enp4s0f0) as the LAN interface in OPNSense and connected a switch to the physical interface. VLANs work, PCs get IPs, have internet, etc.
I configured a linux VLAN with the IP 10.5.0.23/24 on vmbr1

I can't ping proxmox from a VM/physical PC on vlan 5 nor access https://10.5.0.23:8006, but these VMs/PCs can reach web interfaces from other servers on that network.

Here's my config, I'm a bit lost, so hopefully it's something simple!

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp42s0 inet manual

iface enp4s0f0 inet manual

iface enp4s0f1 inet manual

iface enp4s0f2 inet manual

iface enp4s0f3 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.23/24
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports enp42s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp4s0f0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vmbr1.5
iface vmbr1.5 inet static
        address 10.5.0.23/24

Last edited:
Have you enabled firewall setting on Proxmox?
Have you tried to ping your computer from Proxmox itself?
Is the switch configuration also the same (VLAN 5)?

I haven't touched the firewall, seems like it's off by default.
Proxmox can ping the computer
The physical switch works as expected.

Though for some reason, I saw proxmox could ping the computer, so I tried on a PC on the same VLAN (management). Now the web interface works. Really confusing, the only change I did is go to sleep and come back. Welp, just gonna see if it keeps working. At least I know my config is (in theory) good.

If anyone has the same issue. I had the gateway configured on proxmox's connection going to the modem/router combo from my ISP. I removed it from there (since there aren't VLANs or different networks on that side of Proxmox), I then added a gateway (10.5.0.1 in my case) to my vmbr1 interface so that the traffic could be routed to the different VLANs on the LAN side.

So again, if that can help someone

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp42s0 inet manual

iface enp4s0f0 inet manual

iface enp4s0f1 inet manual

iface enp4s0f2 inet manual

iface enp4s0f3 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.23/24
        bridge-ports enp42s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp4s0f0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vmbr1.5
iface vmbr1.5 inet static
        address 10.5.0.23/24
        gateway 10.5.0.1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!