Virtual Server for School Lab

X

xodiacx

Hi to all,

guys thanks for giving me insight from the last post here in this forum. last week I had a talk with our sys ad from our school and he is also interested in deploying a virtual server in our school laboratory to maximize server, power, etc. For all those who has already experience, what server can you recommend for us to buy who can accommodate 60 computers for students and 10 computers for the school employees.

thanks for your input.

Another important factor is whether cluster and HA is intended and whether storage should be local on proxmox or shared.

If your students are teached freedom as should be, consider LTSP project (http://www.ltsp.org/). If you want to run as a VM, you can create a KVM vm, dedicate 2 lan nics, use gbit switches, and have a really easy to mantain computer lab solution. LTSP requires few resources in terms of hd size, networking is important (all clients boot from it). Suggested OS is _buntu 12.04 (I use kubuntu, some xubuntu, etc)
If school employees need M$ crap, you can create 10 Win7 or whatever VM for those unfortunate.
Then you can also create VM for Moodle e-learning etc.. only fantasy is the limit ;P

Hello mmenaz, I'm a teacher at Fairfield High School and we're planning to use LTSP. Our teachers are ready to get out of their software comfort zone and try something new, so we've ordered an Edubuntu Live DVD which ships with the LTSP environment.
As far as I know, edubuntu is a dead project, last release was in 2014.... I don't think is the right decision.
I just use Kubuntu, remove "akonadi" package (consumes too much resources and is useless for schools), install a ton of didactic software (I've 2 different sets, one for elementary 6-10 years and the other for 11-14 years), install and configure LTSP (new release is much easier to install and configure) and that's all :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!