virtio, networking

westley

Jul 20, 2008
Hello,

first of all, congratulations, the 0.9b2 is really very cool ! Looking forward the next releases.

I have some questions regarding virtio filesystem and networking:

virtio/fs:

I cannot choose the path for a virtio volume, or add a new virtio drive for kvm based system.

- is the virtio drive automatically the folder of the new kvm-vm-id as if it was a ovz-vm ?
- how can I assign additional virtio fs's ?
- is there any support for windows and virtio fs's ?

networking:

- there is per default only one bridge installed. How do I add more bridges ? Only in console ?

- if there's one VLAN defined for a bridge, let's say eth1.5 in br0, can eth1 be in br1 and thus building something like a bridge to both for VLAN 5 ?

- two interfaces defined for a bridge will be used as a bonded eth ?

- in the previous version I was able to do something like 1:1 connection between physical eth and vm's eth. Is it still possible ? (e.g. having a router installed, using PPPoE on two redundant red interfaces)

Many thanks.

Hello,

first of all, congratulations, the 0.9b2 is really very cool ! Looking forward the next releases.

I have some questions regarding virtio filesystem and networking:

virtio/fs:

I cannot choose the path for a virtio volume, or add a new virtio drive for kvm based system.

- is the virtio drive automatically the folder of the new kvm-vm-id as if it was a ovz-vm ?

currently we use growable qcow2 files for disks (located in /var/lib/vz/images/VMID. if you add a hard drive a new qcow2 file is created and you can choose between IDE/SCSI/VIRTIO. If you choose VIRTIO you need a VIRTIO hard disk driver for your guest (not available for windows, for windows you should use IDE, SCSI is not that stable yet). VIRTIO is tested under Ubuntu 8.04 - works well.

- how can I assign additional virtio fs's ?
Just go to the hardware tab and add hard disk.

- is there any support for windows and virtio fs's ?
there are no drivers released yet, pls use IDE for windows.

networking:

- there is per default only one bridge installed. How do I add more bridges ? Only in console ?

on the web interface. see this.

- if there's one VLAN defined for a bridge, let's say eth1.5 in br0, can eth1 be in br1 and thus building something like a bridge to both for VLAN 5 ?

I do not really understand this, maybe due to the other answers you got it.

- two interfaces defined for a bridge will be used as a bonded eth ?

yes. we are working on a network howto with samples.
please also see this: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model

- in the previous version I was able to do something like 1:1 connection between physical eth and vm's eth. Is it still possible ? (e.g. having a router installed, using PPPoE on two redundant red interfaces)

Many thanks.

yes, if it worked before it should also work now.

Thanks a lot ! I was just too blind to see that the down arrows open menus on click.

But how do I add multiple IP addresses to an OpenVZ container ?
Comma separated list ?
And how to put it into multiple bridges ?

I do not really understand this, maybe due to the other answers you got it.

I was talking about something like this:

let's assume you have a physical NIC eth1.
You have two bridges br0 and br1.

What happens if I add eth1.50 into br0 ? (I guess all tagged VLAN packets for ID 50 will be available untagged in br0 ?)
What happens if I further put eth1 into br1, without specifying a VLAN ID ?
Will the incoming packets for VLAN ID 50 reach br0 (untagged) and br1 (tagged) ?

Thanks a lot ! I was just too blind to see that the down arrows open menus on click.

But how do I add multiple IP addresses to an OpenVZ container ?
Comma separated list ?
yes, (for Virtual Network Addresses (venet))

And how to put it into multiple bridges ?
Multiple bridges for OpenVZ is not implemented.

I was talking about something like this:

let's assume you have a physical NIC eth1.
You have two bridges br0 and br1.

What happens if I add eth1.50 into br0 ? (I guess all tagged VLAN packets for ID 50 will be available untagged in br0 ?)
What happens if I further put eth1 into br1, without specifying a VLAN ID ?
Will the incoming packets for VLAN ID 50 reach br0 (untagged) and br1 (tagged) ?

never tested this (and I am in fact no VLAN expert) just try it and see the results.

Hi,

just another few questions regarding networking in OVZ CTs:

- how can I use VLAN in OVZ CTs ?

- how do I enable special routes for multiple IPs in a OVZ CT ?

- are the different multiple IPs for a OVZ CT (btw: what is the maximum ? the input field is very short, maybe it's better to have a multiline field with one IP setup per line ?) automatically connected to the bridges that match the network ?

Thanks.

how can I use VLAN in OVZ CTs ?

use bridged mode. Either connect vmbrX to a vlan, or configure vlan inside the VM.

- how do I enable special routes for multiple IPs in a OVZ CT ?

use bridge mode, and configure that inside the CT.

- are the different multiple IPs for a OVZ CT (btw: what is the maximum ? the input field is very short, maybe it's better to have a multiline field with one IP setup per line ?) automatically connected to the bridges that match the network ?

We are still working on the web interface. Maybe its better you use bridged mode and configure your 'complex' networking setup inside the CT.

- Dietmar

We are still working on the web interface. Maybe its better you use bridged mode and configure your 'complex' networking setup inside the CT.

How are the several IP addresses (comma separated) of a OVZ CT venet connected to bridges ?

I would assume that an IP matching the network of a bridge is connected to the bridge while an IP that doesn't match any network of the bridges inside a pve is not connected at all and all packets send (it can't receive any) will be lost.

Thanks,
Mike

Could you please tell me how venet devices (the multiple, comma separated IPs) are connected to bridges ?

I would assume that:
PVE looks for a bridge that matches the venet's network IP and then vitually 'plugges the cable into that switch' ...
and if it does not find a corresponding brigde it is not plugged anywhere so it does not receive any packets and any packets send go to the nirvana ...

Please confirm if this assumption is right.

Thanks,
Mike

Could you please tell me how venet devices (the multiple, comma separated IPs) are connected to bridges ?

venet devices are never connected to bridges. You need to create a CT using a veth device. You can select the bridge on the create page then.

You can think of a bridge like a physical switch device.

- Dietmar

I would assume that:
PVE looks for a bridge that matches the venet's network IP and then vitually 'plugges the cable into that switch' ...

Well, that is called 'routing' - It is using the normal kernel routing tables.

- Dietmar

I'm in the same situation, can you explain me how??
And was it automatic or a script needed to be run at each CT start?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!