virtio network driver installation on windows server 2016 core guest

Peter123

Mar 5, 2018
I just installed a windows server 2016 core (without gui) as a guest and tried to install the network drivers from the virtio-ISO via the terminal with:

pnputil /add-driver viorng.inf

Altough it responded that the driver package had been added succesfully, after a reboot I cannot reach nor ping anything on the network.

Maybe a good try, but: how to I get the files to the server if it cannot reach the network?

Create an iso with the content, and attach it. Or add an other NIC, but configure it as an e1000, because win have driver for that.

Thanks, janos, that worked.

Does it mean that the current / working virtio network drivers for Windows Server 2016 are not included in the virtio-driver-ISO in Proxmox?

Sorry, the question was rather meant for Proxmox.

Proxmox does not distribute a virtio ISO with windows packages. The drivers from Redhat/Fedora works well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!