VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR in a Windows VM - workarounds?

marcosscriven

Mar 6, 2021
Just to be clear, Promox 7 is working very well for me. I'm posting here because I know there's lots of Qemu experience.

I'm finding using a particular tool called AquaSuite causes my Windows 10 VM to crash with VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR, but only after 10 minutes or so. It works fine otherwise.

AquaSuite is a client for setting up/controlling one of their USB devices that controls PC case fans/monitors temps.

When I Googled "VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR qemu", there's clear pattern of monitoring tools. Couple of examples:

1. Corsair ICUE (similar software/USB device to AquaSuite)
  2. MSI Afterburner.
In the Corsair case, all the responses I found were simply to stop using it. In the MSI Afterburner, turns out there was an option in the software to stop doing the low-level stuff.

I looked in the AquaSuite software options for similar - I turned off all GPU monitoring stuff I could find, but it's still obviously doing it.

So the question is, is there something in Qemu I can do to stub a response? For instance, if the software insists on looking up some register that's not there, rather than blowing up the OS, reply with duff data? How can I even debug what's happening? There's not host-side errors at all.

Further to this, the author of the program told me what it's doing:

The aquasuite is checking the attached Displays and do this via DXGI. This is a part of directx 9..12 API.
It seems they are unlikely to stop doing this, so wondering if there's anything I can do to stop Qemu blowing up here?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!