[SOLVED] vhost backend has no free memory slots left

freakits_jino

Sep 17, 2021
I am facing an issue were I migrated a VM from proxmox 6.4.x to 7.3

1. We implemented a new setup with 3 node cluster of 7.3.
2. Took a backup of the VM on old setup of 6.4
4. Restored the backup snapshot on new setup of 7.3
5. In old setup we had processor type default kvm64 and new we are changing it to host
6. 2 VM are working fine whose memory are equal to or below 8GB but there is one VM with memory: 48GB which is giving an error while starting the VM

ERROR: kvm: -device pc-dimm,id=dimm61,memdev=mem-dimm61,node=1: a used vhost backend has no free memory slots left
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

Kindly help on how should this be resolved on new setup of 7.3. what am I missing here

Last edited:
You could try what is suggested in this post [1] and add the option to it. You will need to reboot for this to take effect:
Code:
$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/vhost.conf

options vhost max_mem_regions=509

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/hotplug-memory-limits-total-memory-to-44gb.30991/#post-499404
@shrdlicka Yup referred and did the exact same thing which got things moving forward for me. Felt like a major block during this migration but luckily found it, implemented it and it works. I just forgot to post here :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!