Very slow performance while iterating backups

SRU

Dec 2, 2020
Hi,
we have some proxmox backup servers version 2.2.x with mixed discs:
  • system discs with SSD/NVME
  • data discs with sata 16tb drives.
if i try to restore a bigger vm, i always get timeouts from the backup server while searching for the latest backups.
Every first try always ends in a timeout no matter wether using the GUI or the CLI.
Code:
pvesm list pmb-04 -vmid 20110
proxmox-backup-client failed: Error: http request timed out

The second try works out fine returning a valid result.

Code:
root@p21:~/bin # time pvesm list pmb-04 -vmid 20110
real 1m43.270s
user 0m0.709s
sys 0m0.115s

Verify jobs last many hours up to 1.5 days.

I would like to move the content from datastore/vm to the systemdiscs as these have no load.
The volume is not so big and i think it could increase the performance for restore and verify jobs.

Maybe the usage of a database with some indices for the index informations can optimze this search and increase the performance ?

This backup server has:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
  • 128gb ram
  • 2x 1tb nvme
  • 10x16tb sata discs
  • backup volume used: 20tb
i know the best approach would have been using NVMEs or at least SSDs for performance reasons, but my provider has no server with that huge storage as SSD / NVME.

• Any hints on how to reorganize the volumes and disks to reach performance while iterating backups ?
  • Any hints on how to speed up verify jobs ?

Thanks in advance,
SRU

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers to both of you, we will do research on that!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!