[SOLVED] Version 8 installation no display

cdsJerry

Renowned Member
Sep 12, 2011
I'm getting ready to upgrade to version 8 starting with my backup server first. I'm installing from the ISO. I get the expected window where I'm selecting the top Install Proxmox option. The software starts to load and a few lines of text show on the screen. But then I get a message on the screen that says "Cannot display this video mode" and nothing more seems to happen. As I understand it there should have been a license screen or something to accept before moving forward with the installation but there's nothing displayed but the error.

This machine was running Proxmox 7.4-16 prior to my attempts to install version 8 this morning. Any suggestions?

There is a new "nomodeset" option under the "Advanced" section in the boot menu. It will start the new TUI installer without trying to set a higher resolution mode.

Does that work?

There is a new "nomodeset" option under the "Advanced" section in the boot menu. It will start the new TUI installer without trying to set a higher resolution mode.

Does that work?
That worked! The EULA is up on screen now so I'll go continue the installation. I have to admit, I've never heard of nomodeset before.

I've never heard of nomodeset before.
The option for the installer has been added with the latest major releases a few weeks ago. Since we now have a TUI installer as well.

I just downloaded the actual ISO of the Proxmox 8.1 installer and I also get the message "Cannot display this video mode" on my monitor.
I tried 3 different monitor sizes: 15", 19" and 22", they are all not able to show the installer. The monitor is connected via a simple VGA cable, I installed version 7.3 some weeks ago here with no problem.
I tried all possible options: GUI installer, TUI installer and under Advanced I only find "GUI debug mode" and "TUI debug mode", but both are not working. How do I set the "nomodeset" option?

How may I install version 8?
Do I really have to install version 7 and do an upgrade right away??

Regards,
Ingo

Hm, I just tried the same USB key on another machine, here it works without any problem?! Strange.
I now found the ISO 8.0 Installer and tried this one, here I found the "nomodeset" option. This worked.
So please integrate this option also in future installers! Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!